Bottle babies, what do I need?

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
hermityfarmer-women said:
Thanks,it looks the we will be getting babies that are either 1-2 weeks or 3-5 weeks old. I am so excited! Now I need to decide what to get the 1-2 week old males are free the 3-5 wk old males are 10 and the females are 50. I am almost thinking spend the money on the females just in case in the future we do decide to breed.
Will the kids be on bottles when you get them?

scrambledmess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Since I got my kids from Rolls, I followed her feeding suggestions. My kids have grown like crazy weeds. They really are way bigger then I ever thought they would be right now. I have had no problems using whole cow's milk with them.

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am raising 2 bucklings on "store bought" whole cow's milk (after suggestions from this site) and I can say they look way better than the formula fed kids we had last year. They are calmer and have never had diarrea. The formula fed babies always had loose stools and were fussy. Obviously raw goats milk is best but I had no does milking when I got these boys. Johnes would be a big concern to me with bulk tank cows milk which would be the only other milk source close by. We now have does in milk and I've been using both goat's milk (now that 2 have freshened) and cow's milk interchangeably with no problems.

I will say I am so glad we had does milking last fall as it saved a beautiful litter of puppies when their mom died during the birth. We also share extra milk with our chickens, cats, pigs. The main reason we are expanding our little goat herd. We need enough for drinking, our yogurt, icecream and cheese!

I like the caprine type nipples but I think it's personal choice and keep with the same type nipple. I have used silicone regular baby nipples and I will say to have spares on hand. Bigger kids can destroy the nipples!
If you are picking older kids make sure you have the kind of nipple they are using don't try switching.

I think the kids nursing posture is very important and (others may fault me for this) not to spoil them with excessive handling and to make them respectful of your personal space early on especially bucklings.

How exciting to be able to go pick out "new babies"! Best wishes.

hermityfarmer-women

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Great suggestions. They are on bottles and I will talk with the dairy and see what they are using. I can't wait to share pics!