Bottle Baby Katahdin Sheep - PICS added

SweetDreams

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Since we have dealt some with bottle babies....
The price does seem a little high for such little animals. :idunno
Personally, if we have bottle lambs, we are going to give them to anyone willing to take on the feeding schedule. It is really demanding, and we would rather give them away than to see them suffer.

Those babies look about the right age (2 weeks or so)....and look ok- clean hind ends? Are they passing stools well? And, do they move around on their own alot?
We have always fed 12 oz every 2-4 hours, but it depends on the lamb.

My advice would be to be careful and not get suckered. Yes, they are cute and adorable, and you can take good care of them- BUT....lambs can die for seemingly no reason weeks later. You could take that same $200 and buy a full grown set to breed. We got our flock for less than $80 for each individual.

Best of luck though!!

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
ThreeBoysChicks said:
The ewe's Mom had triplet, they don't feel she is getting enough, so they are bottle feeding.

The wether's mother is only producing on one side and his sister is a bully, not getting enough, so they are bottle feeding.

There were 2 others whose mom did not make it through delivery. The babies had to be taken C-Section. But they had a mom who lost a baby and she has adopted these 2 as her own.
Got ya. Well, not to be a debbie downer, but the breeder is still making out like a fat cat even though you negotiated the price. You're doing the breeder a huge favor by taking them early.

Either way, enjoy them! :)

If you are interested in buying weaned lambs this spring, a good friend of mine has katahdins and dorpers and would be a great person to buy from. She's in central MD.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
My firast question is Do you think that $150 a peice for a Ewe and a Wheter in MD expensive?
Cute lambs....but as to your OQ above...yes, WAY too much for bottle lambs. Especially when one is a wether. You can pick up bottle lambs for as low as $2 at a livestock auction and some reputable breeders will just give them away to avoid having to deal with them. I've already had two different Dorper/Katahdin breeders with registered stock offer to give me any bottle bums they have this year.

A wether is good for two things only.....a companion animal or for butchering. Well....you also could possibly use him as a teaser if he has been short-scrotumed.

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
These 2 will be only for pets. They will be 2 weeks old Sunday. I am now paying $200 for the pair instead of $300. The breeder does not band boys, he prefers surgical castration at4 months of age and he will do my boy for free at that time. Found out he is a medical doctor.

I know the price is high, but I greatly appreciate all of the assitance he has already given us and the fact that he will be available to us going forward.

--Ed