Bred 3 Aug rebred labor day, had babies today

Barbara

Just born
Reaction score
I know I should have waited but 2 Aug was her second breeding and she showed no symptoms of birthing like last time when she produced zilch. I rebred this past wqeekend and told her she would be rabbit stew in 32 days if no babies again! She just had six babies at noon today! On the wire! I had removed the nest since she paid it no mind this past week. Must threaten more often, huh? My question is what chance that she will have babies in 32 days? Will today's kits be ready to wean in time? HELP

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hoo, boy! If she'd been with the buck today, I'd give you a 100% chance of her being pregnant, but this is not so easy to call. 6 could have been all from one horn. Who knows, maybe if she successfully raises some, she might pull fur or do some of the other things that give advance warning next time. Bunnies can be weaned at 4 weeks, most don't really like to do it, but commercial breeders often will.

The doe might not produce as much milk, if she's pregnant and nursing at the same time. First time mothers often don't produce as much as they will with later litters, too. It's possible that the babies may start being more serious with the feeder sooner if she's preggers. It's a bit of a toss-up, really. I think that I would add oatmeal and maybe calf manna to the pellets when the babies start nibbling at it. That way, if you do have to wean early, you have them already started on the sorts of supplements that are often given to very young rabbits. It probably wouldn't hurt the doe either, she may be a bit pulled down from nursing the litter at that point.

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
yep, there is a good possibility. be prepared. we are not experts at it, but that far along, you can feel the bunnies inside the mom without too much trouble

Barbara

Just born
Reaction score
I can't believe what all she went through this past weekend. I redid my outdoor area and moved her to a new larger cage, took away her nest box, bred her and normally she is a grumpy, mean doe and I don't spend time feeling her belly without paying the price. So this past month I left her alone and thought she would act like the first time when she either ate them or had nothing and was not bloody but carried hay, pulled fur on 28 th day, then nothing so after her 36th day I re-bred and thought she didn't take. SHE DID! She was not bloody last time, but this time she was. She is also very very sweet today. She let me check babies and she even jumped in and started nursing them while I put them up under her...I was waiting to get nipped any second, but she was extremely calm no grunting or running and acting crazy. She had them on the wire at noon yesterday and I put them in the nest with old left over poodle dog hair and dryer lint (she is friends with poodle) Now today she is pulling fur and picking up extra hay to make the nest around the kits. I will definitely buy the suggested foods. I am giving mommy oatmeal and BOSS already.
I hope and pray she didn't take on that breeding this past week.
God looks after drunks, little kids and ignoramuses...I hope :D

lastfling

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't think you're going to have a thing to worry about. I've got a doe that persists in hanging onto her young for days after she's expected. Twice now, I've rebred her after 36 days once and 38 days the next only to have her give birth the next day after the rebreeding. My palpitating skills are sorely lacking, and I have never been able to feel kits in her. She never had a second pregnancy due to the rebreeding, but it did seem to kick start her into finishing what was started a month prior. Both times litters were small with (2) kits being born. I just got a grand champion leg with one of those kits who's now a senior, which is why I keep the doe around. She's a pistol to breed, but does throw nice kits.

Barbara

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouraging remarks. I am pleased that she is better mannered. She had six but one sure was weird and "old" looking. I couldn't tear the placenta off, it was leathery. Wonder if it is possible that it had been in her a month? Doesn't seem likely. It was very thin skinned, I could see all the intestines and organs inside. The other five are still alive but not all have plump tummies.