Bred a New Zealand doe, early nesting?

JRabbits

Just born
Reaction score
I bred my doe on the 14th of this month. Its been 15 days since then. I noticed my doe this morning have mouthfuls of hay in her mouth and trying to "dig" (on the plywood) so I assumed she's building a nest. Therefore, I put in a ton of Timothy hay (I have a cage built like a nesting box which she can go in and out of). Is it normal for her to start building this early? Thanks.

mama24

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It is a little early, but some does build their nest well in advance, and some don't build until they are actively in labor, so I wouldn't worry about it.

JRabbits

Just born
Reaction score
mama24 said:
It is a little early, but some does build their nest well in advance, and some don't build until they are actively in labor, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Hi, thank you for the assurance :)

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Is this her first litter? In my experience, that behavior is most common in a first litter.

Barbara

Just born
Reaction score
If my NZ do that at 15 days they usually aren't pg, just a false pregnancy. I do however wait until their due days JIC.:D

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
This weekend I noticed 2 of our experienced does nesting, and both are about 2 weeks from due date. We have had a big drop in temperatures, so it could be instinct.

BYJR1434

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
a picture of her cage would be nice! id like to build some cages with integrated nests.