breeds? Purebreds or cross breeds?

taraann81

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Okay, I got the little brown guy from some man who buys a lot of dairy goat billies in big numbers for cheap and then re sells them to make a profit. He didn't know his breed.
The lighter colored one (my doeling) was sold to my husband as a buckling, he didn't know until he got her home and she squatted to pee! He forgot to ask the guy her breed and I don't want to call him and see just in case he caught on to his mistake.

Also as you will see in the pic she is tied out (I had someone on another forum get upset with me about that). She was only tied out because she was very skittish the first couple of days and when I took Oliver out of the pen she would start to cry but I was worried I wouldn't be able to catch her if I let her out too. SO I staked her out within 20 feet of me while I did yard work. She was safe and always supervised.

Also they are not small goats. I did not see the male(Olivers) parents. But the farm where I got the girl(Sweet pea) had very large goats.
As this might help you decide on their breeds.

I have posted this on another forum and feel like I got good responses. But I would like to see what your thoughts are as this is specifically for goats.
Thanks for all your help

510_oliver_005.jpg

510_oliver_003.jpg

510_oliver_004.jpg

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Soooo cute!!! Good thing they are babies. If you keep doing that, your hostas are toast! :lol:

taraann81

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
he he. I know! They already have tasted my hostas! I don't really mind though as long as they don't touch my canna lillies!

pattyjean73

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Looks like an alpine to me. But I'm not familiar with all the different kinds of breeds. If it's one of the pygmy types I wouldn't have a clue.

taraann81

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks we love them. I wish some one would have told me sooner what fun, intelligent quirky animals goats are. Before I got these guys the only goats I have been around is the pushy, butting goats in petting zoos.

bmerb

Just born
Reaction score
I agree with the others, the doeling is Alpine, the buckling is a Tog or Tog cross. Very very cute! :)

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Very cute kids! Are you going to wether the male? If not, you need to separate them by the time they are about 8 weeks old (which they look close to) as goats have been known to breed that young.

Congrats... I'm glad you found out how wonderful they are! :D

taraann81

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
REALLY? I had no idea they could breed that young! Yes we are going to wether him. We are going to band him next week, he has an appt for his shots then will be banded that same day.(vets advice). I'm glad you told me that though my vet didn't mention that possibility!

Latest posts