Buck Question

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH.

Did you leave a message on my website before and we traded a couple of emails? I notice you are in N.C. Mountains. I seem to recognize the name.

When we got a buck when we had our first 3 girls, we left the together until the girls kidded. Then, we seperated him. We did exactly what you are planning, we wethered one of our first kids and he moved in with his daddy when he was about 3 mos old.

He'll be fine by himself for a while. Just give him some extra attention.

Jewls819

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
OneFineAcre said:
Welcome to BYH.

Did you leave a message on my website before and we traded a couple of emails? I notice you are in N.C. Mountains. I seem to recognize the name.

When we got a buck when we had our first 3 girls, we left the together until the girls kidded. Then, we seperated him. We did exactly what you are planning, we wethered one of our first kids and he moved in with his daddy when he was about 3 mos old.

I dont think I have but I have done alot of research so maybe I just dont remember. He has calmed down a bit. I took the mom and babies for a walk yesterday so he could see them and he seemed content. We were so very unprepared as our fencing is not complete so we have been rigging on the fly since Wednesday. Last weekend we got alot done with the beautiful spring weather but once again winter has peeked in again and this weekend is supposed to be nasty. Looks like we may be working in rain and snow again. Not fun..lol.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Jewls819 said:
OneFineAcre said:
Welcome to BYH.

I dont think I have but I have done alot of research so maybe I just dont remember. He has calmed down a bit. I took the mom and babies for a walk yesterday so he could see them and he seemed content. We were so very unprepared as our fencing is not complete so we have been rigging on the fly since Wednesday. Last weekend we got alot done with the beautiful spring weather but once again winter has peeked in again and this weekend is supposed to be nasty. Looks like we may be working in rain and snow again. Not fun..lol.
I checked. This person's email address was "jewlz". I knew it sounded familiar.

She was in Asheville and interested in Nigerian's

You can come see our animals at the Mountain State Fair too. :D

Good luck with your new babies. Saw your picture on "Pic of the week" I'm voting for you.

Jewls819

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
OneFineAcre said:
Jewls819 said:
OneFineAcre said:
Welcome to BYH.

I checked. This person's email address was "jewlz". I knew it sounded familiar.

She was in Asheville and interested in Nigerian's

You can come see our animals at the Mountain State Fair too. :D

Good luck with your new babies. Saw your picture on "Pic of the week" I'm voting for you.
Aw Thank you! I only posted there because I am so excited about the new little guys! I took a look at your website and love it! I bet you all have fun! I just very well may have the visit the mountain state fair this year!

perchie.girl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am new here trying to learn a little more about goats.... Just curious do Does come into heat soon after they deliver. I know horses do at about two weeks. Could that be the start of the aggression?

I have three wethers that are about eight years old.

deb

Jewls819

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am new too but for the smaller breeds I think it is after they wean the babies. I am sure someone will chime in soon.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
perchie.girl said:
I am new here trying to learn a little more about goats.... Just curious do Does come into heat soon after they deliver. I know horses do at about two weeks. Could that be the start of the aggression?

deb
I am not sure when the non-seasonal breeders will come into heat, but for my Swiss breed dairy stock they don't come into heat until August or Sept. no matter when their kids are born.

perchie.girl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
babsbag said:
perchie.girl said:

deb
I am not sure when the non-seasonal breeders will come into heat, but for my Swiss breed dairy stock they don't come into heat until August or Sept. no matter when their kids are born.
I was just wondering if that would be influencing the Male to be so possessive with the female. So instead hes just being a butthead no pun intended.... LOL.

deb

CYGChickies

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My does both came into a very noticeable heat the day after they kidded, tongue flipping and teasing the buck and peeing everywhere--in front of the children! One kidded in February and one in March.

cindyg

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My two ND does who just kidded must have been bred again within 10 days of their last kidding. And we still haven't finished the buck enclosure where he is going with a wether friend! I am determined that they won't be bred that quickly again. Of course, just now, I am away from home waiting patiently (not so much) for the birth of my first grandchild, so no work getting done on the fences just now.