BUCKS STINK!! Well whacha' gonna' do 'bout it?

Obsessive

Just born
Reaction score
Our nubian buck....(well, can y' guess?)

So anyone have any tried-and-true ways to get the smell off?

washing jus' don't work :/

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Have you tried one of the enzyme-based cleaners for house pet urine, the kind that "eats" the molecules? A good brand works really, really well. We bought a house that, in a couple of places, had a very intense cat pee smell. We tried everything, and once I broke down and got the good stuff, it worked. I planned to use it on my does after their conjugal visits, but my buck is young and the does haven't gotten stinky.....yet. :rolleyes:

FarmerChick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Our Boer bucks sure stink.....I hear ya.

I always got it off with regular washing. Never had a problem.

Maybe some lemon juice rubbed into your hands?

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Bucks....the smell that keeps on stinking.

Even after I *know* I've gotten it washed off / out of / from whatever it is, I still smell it, I think it gets in your nose and camps out or something.

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
don't know if it works for buck scent, but a pig farmer i once knew used toothepaste to wash the pig smell off his hands. :/

Rock Farmer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Good Luck! I only get a buck when I need one. I think the musk smell is just part of having the ol' boy around. I am sure there is something out there that might help. I think that most of the musk smell comes from the urine. He probably tries to get it all over him. It is his calling card. I was buying some chickens from a lady the other day and she took me to see her nubians. As soon as we walked in with those sweet ladies, I could tell they had a date close by. There is a line of product called Odo-ban at WalMart, and my vet uses it to clean his office. I think it might be worth looking at.

landis1659

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
This is my first year to having goats, I bought a book and I've read all your posts but when my doe went into heat this fall I kept waiting for this smell I keep hearing about and I never got it. I have a pair of Saanens in pens right next to each other. I don't know if it's the breed or what but we never had a problem this year. Hope it stays that way

RockyToggRanch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
landis1659 said:
This is my first year to having goats, I bought a book and I've read all your posts but when my doe went into heat this fall I kept waiting for this smell I keep hearing about and I never got it. I have a pair of Saanens in pens right next to each other. I don't know if it's the breed or what but we never had a problem this year. Hope it stays that way
Is one of the saanens a buck?

My togg buck was disgustingly sticky and gross looking during "the rut" but has mellowed out now as his job is finished. He plays in the snow a lot and seems to have washed away most of the scent. Or maybe he rubbed it all off on me...my gloves stink a little.
Although, I don't find the scent offensive....I'm weird I guess:) Or perhaps I was a goat in my last life?

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You can get some stuff called "Natures Miracle" at pets stores or you can order it online (much cheaper)

I keep it on hand all the time. It works great on urine smells from pets. I really needed it when I was crate training a dog.

When we brought Lenora home in the back seat of the truck last week, she peed on the floor mat and a little bit got on the carpet, used the Nature's Miracle, and no more pee pee odor.

DonnaBelle

Latest posts