Building a pantry

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
MUCH depends on purpose and length of storage. If you're talking just yr to yr or two "normal"...or a SHTF prep. :idunno

First, make a list of what you will eat. Next look at nutritional value of those. Look for proteins, carbs, vit/ min...balance. I look for 2yr use for most veg types & a year on meats -- for what I'll eat. Guess we're not considering the freezers :lol:

Next I try to grow most popular eating for me. But will buy if value there with expense of time/material to can is there. This being my normal, yearly method. Plus I can some convenience things.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
1. Tomatoes in all forms. Whole, peeled and cored, sauce, spaghetti sauce, salsa, etc.
2. Vegetable Soup from whatever is in the garden.
3. Chicken-home raised
4. Broth
5. Jams and jellies
6. Fruit
7. Green beans
8. Pickles-you have my recipe!
9. Peas although I like them better when frozen.
10. Pinto beans because I want beans now and didn’t think ahead enough to soak them overnight and simmer all day.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've been seeing alot of those sheet pan soup recipes lately. The ones where you roast a bunch of quartered tomatoes & onions, a whole garlic, some herbs & probably other things. Then toss it all in a blender, add a little liquid (milk or broth or whatever) & tahdah, soup!
I'm thinking that several jars of a tomato base & several versions of a squash/pumpkin base would be good to have.
Tomatoes in several forms are a given.
Beans - plain as a base, with ham 'better than bouillon' & onions, & baked beans.
Chicken/turkey & broths. Beef : cubed & ground & broths. Pork.
I keep a gallon bag in the freezer for all the veggie scraps & make broth when it's a cockpot full.
Corn. Potatoes. Butter beans & string beans.
A few meals in a jar would be handy. Beef stew, chili.

murphysranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Spices. Open up the container, separate into smaller piles, then vac pack into small bags. They will last a long time and it will surely spice up whatever you're going to store for longer term.

I also vac pack rice - both white and brown. And two types of sugar too.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Tomatoes
Potatoes
Jams/Jellies/Preserves
Chicken

I've done the roasted veggie soups - and roasted tomato soups - DEEEEELISHHHHHH - but I put those in freezer ziplocs, and freeze laying flat (easier on freezer space). I'm a bit of a stickler on safe canning practices so when I can I follow the recipe exactly (changing only dried herbs and spices).
There's a few FB groups that are safe canners Safe Canners for Beginners and Experienced and Canning and Preserving With Love With Bernadette nice people in both groups and willing to help.