Butchered my first NZ's today, not so good experience

oldcluck

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
While I am interested in the rabbit wringer I currently use a 22 caliber BSA pellet rifle. One shot to the back of the head works every time and is a quick way for them to go.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I take my time when killing rabbits, less mistakes if you just chill out and not rush or worry. I use a 1/2in rebar, set the rabbit on the ground, when it's calm, place the bar on the neck under the ears. Then flip each front foot onto the bar, so the rabbit is holding it. Lastly step on one side and then the other, grab legs and pull. You really don't need much strength to get it done, just conviction to go through with a good yank.
If they freak out at any point, just hold onto them and let them calm down. I keep a solid grip on their shoulder/back skin until I am ready to pull.

I also have a hose with me each time, I spray down the area from the last rabbit and I spray the hanging rabbit throughout the whole process. Slight paranoia with wanting it to cool, but also to get blood and hair out of the way. My rabbits don't bleed much and they clot fast. I'm starting to think I need to shave the back of their necks before I kill them. It can take forever to get the hair out of the way enough for the knife to get their heads off, huge pain, even with a nice, sharp knife.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I use a pellet gun. I hated the idea of the broomstick method, because I don't want to "feel" the neck break. I put each rabbit in a small cage (open top and bottom) on the ground, put some food in front of it, and while they're still I shoot them. It's so easy and simple, and very safe. The gun is up against the head, so there's a very slim chance I'd miss. It's so easy I don't think I"ll every try the wringer or broomstick.

Prairiechick

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
WhiteMountainsRanch said:
I always use a .22... never had an issue. :)
Same here. I would be afraid of not killing on the first pull and causing the rabbit pain. I let them eat a little grass or leaves or whatever for a minute the the .22 from behind right down between the ears and out the mouth. They are dead instantly and they didn't freak because it was coming. If you are careful about where you are shooting into the animal, the gun is the quickest, cleanest, most effective way I can do it.

This was my first year with meat rabbits and butchering them.

I was wondering if any of you find that skinning the does is easier than bucks? I did all the bucks first and then the does and in comparison I find the skin comes off the girls lickity-split, with little effort compared to the bucks. I also noticed, the girls must consume a lot more water because they ALL had much fuller bladders.

Prairiechick

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
secuono said:
I take my time when killing rabbits, less mistakes if you just chill out and not rush or worry. I use a 1/2in rebar, set the rabbit on the ground, when it's calm, place the bar on the neck under the ears. Then flip each front foot onto the bar, so the rabbit is holding it. Lastly step on one side and then the other, grab legs and pull. You really don't need much strength to get it done, just conviction to go through with a good yank.
If they freak out at any point, just hold onto them and let them calm down. I keep a solid grip on their shoulder/back skin until I am ready to pull.

I also have a hose with me each time, I spray down the area from the last rabbit and I spray the hanging rabbit throughout the whole process. Slight paranoia with wanting it to cool, but also to get blood and hair out of the way. My rabbits don't bleed much and they clot fast. I'm starting to think I need to shave the back of their necks before I kill them. It can take forever to get the hair out of the way enough for the knife to get their heads off, huge pain, even with a nice, sharp knife.
I found that pulling the skin up away from the back of the neck and making a small slit in the skin, then taking the point of the knife and enlarging it, then cutting the neck out of the shoulders as deep as possible works better than thinking I can saw through the whole thing works best for me. Once the skin and fur are out of the way, I can wrap my fingers around the neck inside and bend it to get the best cut on both sides at the base, then come down with the blade from the top of the neck to finish severing it. Then I cut the remaining skin around and it all comes out pretty clean. I still end up with more of the neck sticking up than I want, but it isn't a big deal as long as nothing sharp is poking out to cut the shrink wrap bags I freeze them in.

I have to laugh as I am bagging them, their little butts look so funny to me :lol: I never thought of a rabbit with a "butt".

lexibot

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
sawfish99 said:
I use a rabbit wringer. While I have a lot of other options, for me, the value in having a dedicated, ready to use processing area is worth it. I also bought the hanger for dressing the rabbits.

I was surprised that they were bigger than normal and dressed at 2.5 lbs. What do you normally target for a dressed weight?
Usually you'll want around 5lbs live weight for a fryer. The last time I checked my litter, at 2 months of age I was averaging 5lbs a rabbit, at 3 months though, I only averaged around 6lbs a rabbit, so I decided my target age is around 2 months..

I got some breeding now, so I would like to see if this weight sticks, the last couple of years I have been told I was getting NZW when they were just crosses, now I have pure blooded ones, so I am excited to sink my teeth in a lot of meat :p.

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I recently butchered a batch that was from a 3/4 Am Chin, 1/4 Flemish doe and NZR mix buck. At 12 wks, they were 5lbs average live and 2.3-2.7lbs dressed.

The batch of pure Am Chins will be 5lbs at about 14 wks.

Abbey

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I too butchered my first rabbit for thanksgiving. My boyfriend did one, I did the other. We tried the bar over the neck method on the first one, it looked quick and simple, but we just crushed the throat as well. Grabbed the rabbit by the back legs and knocked him out on the concrete as soon as we saw it didn't work. I think we should have had the front legs pointing backwards, yes? we had them facing forwards. Ouch. Did the second one on the concrete but took two goes of it. I want to use a gun next time. The breeder suggested slitting their throat, is this as easy as it sounds? It wasn't so easy to cut their heads off...
2.5 seems so small. I guess ours were 5-6. I am looking for a mate for my french angora to breed wool and meat rabbits. They don't bulk up fast, so I am glad to hear others eat really small rabbits and I am not crazy. :)
I just kept telling myself to breath and remember that if you cannot make peace with death, be a vegetarian...

LadyIsabelle2011

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Sorry you had to go through that. It would have bugged me a lot too :/ My family has always used a pellet gun. We already hunt and it just seems quicker and less...well, brutal for us. We are hunters, not butchers, at heart I guess. :hu If we didn't have guns I think we would go with the clubbing over the head method. Quick, uncomplicated. I would leave it to a much stronger person than myself though.