Buying a horse? What age should it be?

Striker24.3

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello!

I found this 5 year old horse that I might want to buy for my family.
But I am worried that 5 is too young for a starting horse for my family.
I have taken lessons for 3 years but my family has only been on horses a couple of times.
Is it okay to buy a 5 year old? They said in his description that he was well trained. But I have not went to go look at him because of his age and he is also 3 hours away.

Thank you!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you have only been riding lesson horses, and your family has not been riding at all, I would look for an older horse that has some trail years on him. Moat horses don't even start saddle training until around 2-3 years old so a 5 year old has only been under saddle for about 2 years. I would also look for a gelding since they don't go through PMS like mares do. LOL

Here are some questions:
Although this 5 year old might be well trained, is the training only in the arena?
Does it have any trail miles on it?
What kind of riding do you and your family plan to do? Arena shows, trails, gymkhana, playdays?
How will you get to the riding trails?
If by trailer, is the horse trained to load into a trailer? If not trained it can be difficult to train.
If by roads the horse needs to be familiar with roads and traffic. A friend bought her daughter a horse to show. The girl decided to go trail riding with friends one day and on the way the horse fell down in the street having never been trained to step off a curb!

I think I would give a pass on the 5 year old and look for a 12 year old horse that has been a family trail horse. The longer it has been owned by one family the better.

Be sure to get a vet check on any horse you decide to buy!

Striker24.3

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If you have only been riding lesson horses, and your family has not been riding at all, I would look for an older horse that has some trail years on him. Moat horses don't even start saddle training until around 2-3 years old so a 5 year old has only been under saddle for about 2 years. I would also look for a gelding since they don't go through PMS like mares do. LOL

Here are some questions:
Although this 5 year old might be well trained, is the training only in the arena?
In the picture the horse is being riden outside.
Does it have any trail miles on it?
They say it has been trail riden but I don't know how much
What kind of riding do you and your family plan to do?
Arena shows, trails, gymkhana, playdays?
Just trail riding
How will you get to the riding trails?
If by trailer, is the horse trained to load into a trailer? If not trained it can be difficult to train.
If by roads the horse needs to be familiar with roads and traffic. A friend bought her daughter a horse to show. The girl decided to go trail riding with friends one day and on the way the horse fell down in the street having never been trained to step off a curb!
We have some trails in our woods at home so we would just hop on and then ride around the property.
That's terrible! I was going to ask them a ton of questions!
I think I would give a pass on the 5 year old and look for a 12 year old horse that has been a family trail horse. The longer it has been owned by one family the better.
Yeah I was thinking around 12 would be good but thay horse looked so great. Thank you!
Be sure to get a vet check on any horse you decide to buy!
Will do!

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Be willing to walk away if ~anything seems a little strange or different than you are used to. Even if you rationalize well this must be the way they do it. If whoever is selling the horse tries to help so you don't leave (i.e. get different saddle, different reins, put a different rider on it or anything) that is a big red flag. Groom the horse yourself right there. Cool it out hand walking, etc. While that may go ok you'll at least have hands on and can evaluate what you feel. Of course that doesn't mean the horse isn't drugged to be calm - that could be. Use fly spray - the horse twitching is ok, trying to get away is not. Pick out the hooves - how easy is it to pick up the hooves? Does the horse stand calmly for it? Again if anything is off, walk away. Use any excuse you can if you have to -- in this case white lies or more are ok.
You don't need a horse that you can not ride or will be a danger to someone who comes on your farm/ranch and tried to be nice to the horse.
Sadly there are a lot of crazy horses out there that people will misrepresent and if you get one of them you are out $$$ and God only knows what else. The term "horse trader" has a well earned history.
There are great horses out there, and good people too. Network, research, check online, lots of homework in this will pay off.

Striker24.3

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Be willing to walk away if ~anything seems a little strange or different than you are used to. Even if you rationalize well this must be the way they do it. If whoever is selling the horse tries to help so you don't leave (i.e. get different saddle, different reins, put a different rider on it or anything) that is a big red flag. Groom the horse yourself right there. Cool it out hand walking, etc. While that may go ok you'll at least have hands on and can evaluate what you feel. Of course that doesn't mean the horse isn't drugged to be calm - that could be. Use fly spray - the horse twitching is ok, trying to get away is not. Pick out the hooves - how easy is it to pick up the hooves? Does the horse stand calmly for it? Again if anything is off, walk away. Use any excuse you can if you have to -- in this case white lies or more are ok.
You don't need a horse that you can not ride or will be a danger to someone who comes on your farm/ranch and tried to be nice to the horse.
Sadly there are a lot of crazy horses out there that people will misrepresent and if you get one of them you are out $$$ and God only knows what else. The term "horse trader" has a well earned history.
There are great horses out there, and good people too. Network, research, check online, lots of homework in this will pay off.
Thank you for all of the information!!