CAE AND CL

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
If a farm says they test for it, then ask to see the test results. I tested my herd and I have the paperwork to prove it and not offended at all if someone asks to see it.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
bettybohemian said:
It means they don't have goat herpes ( Cl) or goat HIV ( CAE:D
not the same.viruses. bit They are similar so that's just an easy way to describe them.
Ok, so.. :/

Goat herpes? CL is nothing like herpes.. In fact, CL isn't even caused by a virus, but rather bacteria; corynebacterium pseudotuberculosis, to be precise.

And goat HIV? CAE isn't an immunodeficiency virus like HIV is in humans. Or FIV is in cats, for that matter, which would lead one to suppose that if CAE really were like HIV or FIV, it would be called CIV - caprine immunodeficiency virus. The CAE virus sometimes causes encephalitis in baby goats, but more commonly causes arthritis in adult goats. But even more commonly than that, it causes *nothing* and the goat is simply an asymptomatic carrier. I remember reading an estimate that up to 70% of the US commercial herd is suspected of being CAE+. That's a lot of AIDS goats to be running around out there, dontcha think?

And beyond all that, no...the two aren't really that similar at all, unless you consider the fact that both acronyms start with 'C' to be a similarity..

:hu

bettybohemian

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
cmjust0 said:
bettybohemian said:
It means they don't have goat herpes ( Cl) or goat HIV ( CAE:D
not the same.viruses. bit They are similar so that's just an easy way to describe them.
Ok, so.. :/

Goat herpes? CL is nothing like herpes.. In fact, CL isn't even caused by a virus, but rather bacteria; corynebacterium pseudotuberculosis, t
:hu
GOOD GAWD- I. was just making a joke, hence the.Smiley. face. There were plenty. Of answers that did a great job of explaining what the diseases actually are. As for my comparison of Cl and herpes, in the sense that it forms.a.paid full lesion that eventually burst spewing disease, and outbreak are brought on by stress and weakened immune function. Also as in herpes you can carry the illness and never actually get sick or get false positives and false negatives. IT WAS A JOKE. My attempt at funny escaped you, sorrry

mossyStone

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Joking aside, you really just have to do your homework, and go from there...

One of the best places i have found is a small lic dairy.... ( they are tested for everything under the sun in my state)

I have had the best luck adding to my herd by useing a local lic dairy her goats are tested ( seen all paper work she goes another step and had each doe and buck tested with tats numbers) I will not buy unless i see papers that match the animal i am looking at...
And she has blodlines that milk :)

And i have walked away from many who can't show me!

I really dont want to deal with CL....

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
bettybohemian said:
I. was just making a joke, hence the.Smiley. face. There were plenty. Of answers ....
I can't tell if you're inserting periods for emphasis, or if maybe your keyboard has asthma.. :hu

(that was a joke, btw :weee )

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
julieq said:
Who are you people buying from? In over a decade of purchasing either standard dairy goats or ND dairy goats, we haven't been lied to at all about health status of the herd. We've purchased from breeders as far away as Virginia, California and Texas and not one has lied to us. Some that we contact have been adamant that CL and CAE are not important (i.e. they don't test and/or don't care about it), thus we don't purchase from them. Others are just as adamant as we are that their herds be absolutely free of any disease that they can test for. Maybe we've just been fortunate, but we've met more genuinely honest goat breeders than the other kind.
Although I'm never that surprised when I see threads about sellers being deceitful (call me a cynic... :p ) my personal experiences with purchasing goats overall have been postive. I think that if you're out to minimize risk that there are lots of ways to do so. Getting to know local breeders is one way (there are lots of honest ones out there) and checking paperwork is another. If you're a newb and you're not confident you can weed out the not-so-trustworthy sellers on craigslist then you might start by going to some shows or contacting the regional associations so that you can get to know the goat community in your area. Again, I'm talking about MINIMIZING risk. There's surely no way to eliminate it altogether, but that's life isn't it?

Was that off topic? :lol: I think it was... but anyway I'm with julieq- there are honest breeders out there!

11langenkamp_w

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So if your goats do have it what can happen? Is it a big deal?

bettybohemian

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
11langenkamp_w said:
So if your goats do have it what can happen? Is it a big deal?
It can be. It depends if you have the patience stamina and $$$ to keep on top of things. I have a veterinary background so i could handle that part of it,but I'm also kid of lazy so I would want to avoid it Just because of the extra work involved.

If you just have a small herd and lots of time ( and take into consideration the responsibilities of breeding positive kids) its manageable.

Again though, I did wildlife rehab and have special needs kids so trauma and drama come with the territory