Cage hanging questions.

oldcluck

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am finally getting my rabbit/poultry barn built this week and have a few questions about how you all hang your cages. First how high should the cages be? Initially I just plan to have a single tier of cages but a second row may be needed at some time. I have some cages on a 2 tier rack system right now and the lower cages seem awfully low yet the top row seems a bit high. so heights for a single tier and/or a double tier would be useful.

Secondly I plan to have the cages up against a wall so should i just hang them with wire or chain or should i attach the back of the cage to the wall and use wire or chain to support the front?

DianeS

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Both answers are completely personal opinion. I like having my top row of cages be about shoulder high. If I open the cage door and stick my arm in, I want my arm to reach the back of the cage and easily reach above the rabbit. I'm 5'4", so I have the tops of my cages at 4'11". When I have a second row, it DOES feel a bit low, but not much I can do when I need room in between to catch droppings.

I prefer to have all my clips and clasps on the top of the cage. Less chance of snagging a bun's hair or skin there, like a bolt could do if it were on the side of the cage. But a word about that wall - make sure it's easy to clean and disinfect. Rabbit pee can be bright red sometimes, and look awfully like blood. You don't want that staining there for sure.

Hope that helps!

terri9630

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have my top row at shoulder height so it's easy to reach in to get my breeders. I use the bottom row for growout/temporary pens so they aren't always full.

nerissad

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm 6' so I have some wiggle room however I was told that for exposed (not in a barn, shed or other enclosed area with safety from predators) rabbit cages you should have them at least 2.5' off the ground with that in mind my cages are high however not uncomfortably so.

oldcluck

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks, My current setup is about the same as what has been suggested. hopefully i won't need to setup the lower tier for a while.