Calf 'off' and 'on' again

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Got home from my a.m. milking job at 11:30. My husband said something is wrong with my almost 3 month old calf, Bean. Didn't drink last night's water or this morning, wouldn't eat grain, humped up and crooked and had some runny poop. He didn't look bloated, but did look dehydrated. I mixed a bottle (he's been off for awhile, but . . . )of water and some molasses. By the time I got back to him, he'd drunk half a bucket of water, drank the bottle, wanted his grain back (I didn't give it to him), had had 2 good consistency largish poops, and seemed fine. Went back up 10 minutes later, and he'd had runny good-colored poop and was quite happily chewing a cud.

Sound like dehydration or Coccidiosis back? It's been horrendously (for us) hot here for 3 days.

redtailgal

Reaction score
I would:

give some probios and electrolytes

get a fecal done if you can

Hold milk and grain for 24 hours, giving plenty of hay and electrolytes. His system needs a rest. reintroduce milk slowly.......

Worm and treat for coccidia.

He is old enough that you can consider weaning him. It may be best for him right now.

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yep, he's been off milk for a few weeks now--I just gave him water in a bottle to make sure he was going to drink it. Will do the probiotics and electrolytes, tho, and give him another round of Corid. Think it's been 3 weeks since his last doses, which I guess would be about the right incubation period. Just seemed funny that there was 2 good large poops bookended by 2 runny. Thank you.

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well, I think I figured out what started it all. Bean always used to stick his head out thru the boards on his stall, but it was getting a little tight. Then 3 weeks ago when I had him castrated and disbudded he stopped, as it hurt his head. Yesterday morning when my husband went to do chores, Bean had his head stuck. It was easy enough to back him out that it didn't occur to us that he may have been stuck in that position for the better part of the night. He seems right back on track now, but am going to treat with Corid again and we nailed a board across the gap. (Tho' I don't know why he couldn't have pooped with his head 'stanchioned'--Jersey stubborn?)

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you. Now he's decided that ALL water should have a dab of molasses. Jerseys!