Can u raise potbelly for meat

spegalminifarm

Just born
Reaction score
k_long said:
Just that can I raise a potbelly pig for meat. I have limited space so it seems logical. How much meat do you get, and is it worth it. Just a thought thxs
You can but they taste funny, are extremely greasy, and kind of tough. Meat tends to not taste to good. BUT it can be done.

chunkydunk

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I use them as sausage. It comes out good but the other cuts arent too wonderfull and are small. But the hams are great country cured.small but really good.

Calliopia

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I know this is an older post but just throwing my .02 on it.

We butchered 2 pot bellies this summer and had fantastic sausage and the fat was amazingly high quality. It just melted in your hand.

Recently just butchered a smaller wild style back yard pig on Saturday and again it was SO much easier to be butchering a smaller animal then a huge 300lb beast.

For back yard animals.. you can't beat a smaller critter in my opinion.

sevenmile

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Interesting observations -- results may vary it sounds like.

Since potbellies have not been bred with meat quality in mind in the US, there wouldn't be much predictability between genetic lines.

All other breeds have been developed by patient observation and careful breeding. So maybe there is a project for someone......younger than me....
A smaller framed, well muscled with decent marbleing, efficient feeding, easy to handle breed. Throw in a unique coloration, and name it for yourself!

But here is a question: Is it really any cheaper/better in the long run?
A pound of meat takes "X" amount of energy to make.
butchering takes a certain minimum amount of work and time no matter what the animal's size.

So what do folks out there prefer? To butcher 5 chickens, or one turkey?

jason_mazzy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I was thinking about doing something like this myself. If I could let them free range and forage on the property which is only a couple acres. Then have supplemental feedings like I do with the goat, I was thinking it would be a more cost effective and sustainable farm. Add that to the value of teaching your children about nature and living off the land (education), and breeding a sow once before slaughter you could sustain yourself and possibly profit.

Calliopia

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My husband and I are talking about actually developing something like this.

The pig we butchered on Saturday was low, long and lean. I've already got an email out the the guy that raises them. It also had a fantastic hide with thick long hair and had crazy spots. (it's flensed and in the freezer for processing this spring)

I want to cross these with a leaner pot belly (still plenty of fat) and hopefully, eventually, get a long haired small, but stocky pig with high quality fat.

Personally I want to stick with animals that I can take from yard to freezer BY MYSELF. A 300+ lb animal, I can't do that. And beef is right out.

The PBs were fatties. A bit overweight when we got them. We put them on a fruit and veggie diet for about 45 days and they were in much better shape upon butchering.

Frugal Que

Just born
Reaction score
We want to do the same as Calliopia. Be able to raise animals for meat and slaughter them ourselves.

We do it quite successfully with our other animals but have not done pigs.

Calliopia, do you have a method of slaughtering the pot bellies that you prefer?

We know a guy that will sell us 1/2 his slaughtered pig (regular size) and it is just too expensive once you figure in the butcher shop costs. We want to do everything ourselves.

jason_mazzy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The thing about this pork is it is nearly edible from snout to rump. You can build a flat pit or rotissire and have lil to no waste out of a pig. I would like to find a good forager with high quality meat turnaround for survival reasons.

jason_mazzy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
sevenmile said:
Interesting observations -- results may vary it sounds like.

Since potbellies have not been bred with meat quality in mind in the US, there wouldn't be much predictability between genetic lines.

All other breeds have been developed by patient observation and careful breeding. So maybe there is a project for someone......younger than me....
A smaller framed, well muscled with decent marbleing, efficient feeding, easy to handle breed. Throw in a unique coloration, and name it for yourself!

But here is a question: Is it really any cheaper/better in the long run?
A pound of meat takes "X" amount of energy to make.
butchering takes a certain minimum amount of work and time no matter what the animal's size.

So what do folks out there prefer? To butcher 5 chickens, or one turkey?
If you are working in a family situation the buthchering of a pig is easy. You gut it and roast it. if you want smaller portions you can quarter it, and boil/roast the skull. Much easier than a cow.

Andrew67

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Sorry, I know this is an old thread, but a friend recently asked me if I had any experience with raising potbelly pigs for meat... and I honestly had no idea.

This lead me to Google, which lead me here! :)

I'm really intrigued by the idea of raising smaller pigs for meat, especially since I have limited space on my property. The discussion about crossbreeding potbellies with other breeds to improve meat quality is fascinating. Has anyone here continued experimenting with this? I'd love to hear about any success stories or lessons learned.

Also, for those who have butchered potbellies, how does the meat-to-feed ratio compare to larger breeds? I'm trying to figure out if it would be more cost-effective in the long run.

One concern I have is about the taste. Some posts mentioned the meat being greasy or tough, while others said it made great sausage. Is there a particular way to raise or feed potbellies that improves the meat quality?

Lastly, does anyone have experience with local regulations regarding keeping potbelly pigs? Since they're often considered pets, I'm wondering if there are any legal hurdles to raising them for meat in residential areas.

Thanks in advance for any insights you can share!