Castor Oil and Rabbits

Petit Jean Bunnies

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a doe that was due to have her babies today, she has pulled tons and tons of hair but no babies. Should I just wait a couple of days? I know that Castor Oil is used in putting animals into labor, does anyone know if it is safe for rabbits, and if it works to put them into labor?

flemish lops

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I would wait another day, some of my rabbits pull fur 2 or more days before they have there kits.
I have never used castor oil before so Im not sure on it.

Petit Jean Bunnies

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! All is well that ends well... She surprised us 5 Happy Health Holland Lops this morning in the nesting box when we went to check on her!

bunnylovincowgirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have never heard of castor oil for rabbits! Would be wary of it, therefore.

But congratulations on your new bunnies! I hope they do well.

A couple tricks that can work for getting a doe to kindle: put the doe in with a buck. She will not conceive, I believe, if she is pregnant, but that seems to get things moving for her to deliver the rest of the kits. Another trick is to let her out to run for an hour or two.

Petit Jean Bunnies

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have another doe that is due tomorrow, and if things seem to be slowing I will defiantly try those tips! Thanks so much!

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Petit Jean Bunnies said:
Thanks for the info! All is well that ends well... She surprised us 5 Happy Health Holland Lops this morning in the nesting box when we went to check on her!
Congratulations on the 5 Happy Healthy Holland Lops.

K

oneacrefarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I would not give a rabbit castor oil. It works by causing intestinal cramping, which can in turn cause uterine contractions. Rabbits have a very different digestive system and it could upset the balance. If you feel you *need* to try something, lavender can be used to help the uterus contract. I would not try this unless you are very sure there are kits and the doe is several days overdue.

Latest posts