Caught a rabbit today

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This morning I went out to feed our rabbits and they had a visitor...another rabbit! It was standing on its hind legs in an attempt to peek into our hutch and was rubbing itself all over the herbs we have planted around the hutch. Long story short, I was able to lure it in with a slice of apple and catch it.
Now, we're trying to find out if it has an owner but if nobody steps forward, we're considering eating it. I don't have the space (or cage) for another rabbit yet.

My question to all you knowledgeable rabbit owners out there is this:

Is it safe to eat a rabbit from unknown origins? I know people hunt and eat wild rabbits, but this guy looks like an escaped pet. I am not keeping it near our breeding rabbits, so no worry of disease there.
Would YOU eat it?

5135_hazel_2.jpg

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I only have one pet rabbit, and I've never eaten a rabbit before, but I would keep it for at least 21 days before butchering it (like a withdrawal period)...in case if it did have an owner, you can be sure it is cleared of any medications it might have be given so that way it is safe to eat.

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What if I were to feed it to an animal (i.e. snake)? Would the waiting period still apply?

redtailgal

Reaction score
I would hold off before feeding it to an animal, esp a reptile. If this bunny has any drugs in it, you will be giving that snake the s ame drug........perhaps a drug that is toxic, perhaps a safe drug but at a toxic level.

Could ya just hold to the bunny for a couple weeks? Maybe run an ad or ask a few neighbors about it? At least make sure that some little girl isnt sitting at home crying over her lost bunny before you kill it. :/

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
I would hold off before feeding it to an animal, esp a reptile. If this bunny has any drugs in it, you will be giving that snake the s ame drug........perhaps a drug that is toxic, perhaps a safe drug but at a toxic level.

Could ya just hold to the bunny for a couple weeks? Maybe run an ad or ask a few neighbors about it? At least make sure that some little girl isnt sitting at home crying over her lost bunny before you kill it. :/
I did that, too.:) But just in case nobody steps forward, I wanted to have an idea of options.

redtailgal

Reaction score
Lol, ok, good.

I was really worried that in a week some little girl was gonna show up and look up at you with big tearful blue eyes...."m. .m.m.m Mister? Do you have Fluffy?"

only to hear someone say, "well yeah but i fed'im to the snake".

sigh.

I am drinking coffee again, can you tell?

Am curious, tho.

What sort of reptile do you have that is big enough to eat that rabbit?

MillieMoo

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm curious what kind of reptile you would feed it to as well. I would say it's not too wild if you lured it in with a slice of apple. ;)

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Actually someone ELSE was looking for rabbits to feed to their python. I thought I could make a little side money by selling some of our rabbits...and then this rabbit came to our house. Turns out the Snake Guy doesn't want them now because he lives too far away.
So more food for us!

I don't think he's a "wild" bunny. He looks like a pet. So far nobody in the local paper(s) have put out a "wanted" ad. I've been keeping an eye out but nobody has been looking. No neighbors have stopped by. Nadda.

I'll give it some time and make sure he doesn't have any family before I do anything drastic.;)

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Rabbit definitely looks like someone's pet who either got out or was released. Lot of that happening. People, with the economy, unfortunately abandon pets. First thing that goes. It's a shame, but people who have rabbits think they will be ok if release because they are rabbits. So far from the truth.

I would wait to see before as you say "doing something drastic". Maybe someone will knock on your door or maybe not. But you do what you think is right.

K

SowdersHomestead

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Somebody probably released him. Happens all the time round these parts. Kids want to raise rabbits then get bored so mom and dad release them.