Caught a rabbit today

oneacrefarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Genipher said:
And now that I have a better idea at how long to quarantine I'll do better at "introductions" and whatnot.
I am thinking that may be a Palomino rabbit, maybe a Jr. buck...

Not putting new rabbits in isolation for at least 4wks is a very bad idea...let me tell you why. I brought an impulse buy bunny home and isolated it for two weeks...then put in the barn with my breeding herd. At three weeks, she started with a runny nose on one side...this very quickly developed into full blown pasteurella with sneezing, white snot, matted paws, etc. She infected all three of my bred does and my buck. I lost my breeders, and every single one of the 17 kits they had, over the next three months...almost 2 dozen rabbits lost. If I had kept her isolated for the full month, I would have seen the symptoms before my herd was exposed and infected.

Not trying to make you feel bad in any way, just want to help prevent this happening to others....

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I was vaguely aware that it wasn't wise to put him into the mix...that's why I ONLY put him with rabbits that I, um, wasn't attached to. He didn't (and still doesn't) mingle with my "good" stock of breeders.

Hmmmm. We've had him over 2 weeks and, so far so good.

So sorry about the death of your herd, oneacre. Your story is a good warning to us all! I will definitely be more careful in the future!!