Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Artsyrobin, great pics! I love the one of baby chick hiding in momma! :love

ForestOwl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
GuineaLady93 said:
kla37 said:
I love these cow smilies. We need new smilies! Duckies, goats, etc. Emus would be cool too. :frow :bun :ya
I know aren't they cute!
ducksmiley.jpg

artsyrobin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
that silky mama raised 3 keets, they depoofed her, so i seperated them and no sooner did i do that, she went broody again- flo the eternal broody!

file-13.jpg

file-12.jpg

file-11.jpg

Cynthia12

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score

Stacykins

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
chiknmathvctm said:
HI there was wondering if this Tufted gene works with ALL breeds when breeding? OR just Araucanas? And Will ALL chicks die in the shell if both parent birds have the gene? Reason being We have EE girls and will soon Ameracauna girls and a clean faced AM ROO But was wondering if he is likely to carry the tufted gene and if so....well you get the picture. OMG! so glad I found my BYC fix. :weee

BTW This is CHICK-AMONG-US from BYC! Hatched out two little BCM's and since our hatch rate with local eggs was SO horrible, Deb drove 3 1/2 hours to Ernie Haire's place and bought some of his GORGEOUS Bcm babies and some BLUE coppers too!! :weee :weee :celebrate :celebrate Wonderful sweet man Even invited us to come out and see him show his birds and hang out! I almost died! We are gonna have INCREDIBLE birds... I believe it!!!
The Araucana is one of the few breeds where tufts are bred for, so no need to worry about it in other breeds. But yes, the tufting gene works the same in any chicken, like if you bred for it in another breed. Not all chicks will die, if you breed tufted x tufted, you will get: 50% tufted (heterozygous for tufting like parents), 25% cleanfaced (no tufting gene at all), and 25% dead in shell (these are the chicks that are homozygous for tufting).

Tufting is different from beards and muffs that are part of the Ameraucana (and UK Araucana) standards. Those are not lethal at all like tufts, though I don't know the exact genetics for them since I don't have any Ameraucanas.

Cynthia12

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hmm, looking for my Christmas chicks... found them...
008-7.jpg

Here's a few... how a chicken lays an egg.. right here, she is pushing and pretty close to standing..
005-3.jpg

she stood up and I see that she decided to lay on Little Red's egg... making little squeaky push noises now...
006-6.jpg

And there's the egg! You can see why a chicken needs some head room to lay an egg..
007-10.jpg

She snuggled the egg up by the other and off she went, no chicken song from this girl...
008-5.jpg

Latest posts