Chickens + Goats?

madcow

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
kstaven said:
madcow said:
Our vet told us it's good animal management putting different types of animals together, because most animals don't share the same types of parasites, but the majority of parasites are specific to the types of animals. He said putting chickens and goats together benefits both. I found that the chickens break down the nanny berries racking through them every day and your manure will be less of a problem because of it. A win-win situation all around and chickens will be pretty good company for goats too. They don't seem to mind each other's company at all, except that our chickens are a little skittish when the goat gets too close, but that's not a big deal.
After a little study on the part of the owner the net benefits of diversity in animals kept or specific pairings on a farm cannot be understated.
My vet suggested to herd different animals together as different animals don't share the same diseases or parasites and won't affect one another living together. Probably better for the pasture too, in that different animals eat different things. Everyone wins!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
madcow said:
kstaven said:
madcow said:
Our vet told us it's good animal management putting different types of animals together, because most animals don't share the same types of parasites, but the majority of parasites are specific to the types of animals. He said putting chickens and goats together benefits both. I found that the chickens break down the nanny berries racking through them every day and your manure will be less of a problem because of it. A win-win situation all around and chickens will be pretty good company for goats too. They don't seem to mind each other's company at all, except that our chickens are a little skittish when the goat gets too close, but that's not a big deal.
After a little study on the part of the owner the net benefits of diversity in animals kept or specific pairings on a farm cannot be understated.
My vet suggested to herd different animals together as different animals don't share the same diseases or parasites and won't affect one another living together. Probably better for the pasture too, in that different animals eat different things. Everyone wins!
I couldn't agree more, I love having chickens in with my goats and would like to try a pig someday too. But now that I am working on building a dairy I find that the state code will not let me house any other animals or fowl with my goats. I can understand not letting them in the milking barn, and I certainly wouldn't want chickens or pigs in there, but I can't even have them run in the same pasture. I had thought about adding one Dexter cow to my herd too, but I can't have her with the goats either. GRRRR!!!! I am going to miss my chickens and their fly control.

ArtisticFarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I was wondering about this too, as I am getting 2 goats sometime soon, and I have 18 chickens. ;) Is it just me or is it that if you have one farm animal, you ending up getting more species of farm animals? :p

chicken pickin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ive been curious about housing chickens and goats together also. My main reason is for the chickens to eat the ticks that are in the goat area. The goat pen was built on the far edge of my property with woods on 2 sides of the fence so there are quite a few ticks. I was thinking of making a small platform high in the goat house to put the chickens food and nest box on so the goats cant reach and then a roost above the platform so they cant poop on the goats or on the goat bedding while sleeping. I haven't decided on the set up fully just yet only a thought right now. But I would love to put 2 or 3 chickens in with them.

Id love to hear PROS and CONS of this type of living situation

madcow

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ArtisticFarmer said:
I was wondering about this too, as I am getting 2 goats sometime soon, and I have 18 chickens. ;) Is it just me or is it that if you have one farm animal, you ending up getting more species of farm animals? :p
Yep, ending up with more animals than I expected, but no other species. The chickens are the most maintenance free and the goats are a little more labor intensive, but not much. They just need a little more maintenance with the hoof trimming. Love them both, but the chickens pay for themselves with people stopping to buy eggs from us. I have 16 chickens and 4 goats.

WyoNubian

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have my coop/goat barn, and 60+ chickens and 3 turkeys. I have three Nubians, including two doelings. I built a door that is maybe a third of the height of my full door for the chickens. It sits 6-8 inches off the threshold for the big door. It is 18 inches tall (threshold is several inches off the ground. The chickens can get through that bottom slot, and the turkey can go over the top. The goats cannot get in. This partial door hangs in front of the big door, like a screen door. It is very effective. With a BBB turkey, I needed more than the average chicken door, and the doelings could have gone in through one big enough for it. Other than that, they get along fine. One of my Buff Orpington pullets was on my milker's back this morning when I was feeding.