Chickens hatching then die?

BethC

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
In the Spring we put eggs in the incubator and hatched out some chicks. Some of them chicks died during hatching, we could hear them, see them, then eventually they'd stop moving making noise, and they died. It was really really hard to peel the shell off of the dead chick. I learned that it was a humidity issue. Never had that problem before, we've hatched eggs in the incubator before. So this go 'round, we left a hen who started sitting on some eggs sit (I usually take them when one starts to sit) and we have had one start to hatch. It had about 1/2 the shell off of him, but it was dead. perfectly formed, the shell look healthy, it was easy to peel off of him. So it Wasnt' a humidity thing. I'm curious what would make a seemingly healthy chick die during hatching? Any ideas?

thanks in advance!

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did it get cold? If the hen gets off the nest while they are hatching, they can get chilled really quick.

BethC

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
It's possible it got cold I guess. As far as I can tell, the hen only gets off the eggs when I bring feed back. Of course I don't want them 24/7, so that may not be the case, that's just how it seems when I am out there. but that is a possibilty

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
There are several factors...

From your description it very well could be a nutritional deficiency in the laying hen. This effects birds st hatching significantly. symptoms are dying chicks at time of hatching, during hatching, and right after hatch.

Riboflavin, manganese, pantothenic acid, and vit B should be looked at closely. * Pantothenic Acid deficiencies being key

Genetic Factors.... especially inbreeding, can cause this also. I t can also cause chicks to die days before hatch. There are approx. 30 identifiable lethal genes in poultry.

#3-
Disease- Salmonella/Pullorum- infected eggs do not hatch as well as uninfected eggs.
Infectious Bronchitis is passed through the egg from the hen... effects the egg itself (usually shape and porosity).. this causes the loss of excessive amounts of moisture during incubation

Hope this helps. :)