Choosing a breed for a small property

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would recommend getting at least two does, one will be lonely by herself so a companion is a good idea. Or you could get a doe and a wether if you only want to milk one.

Goats don't need a ton of space, you could comfortably keep a couple of full size does in a 15 foot by 15 foot pen, once they get out of the playful baby stage they seem to mostly just lay around being lazy. But the small breeds are nice too. If you're looking for something small, mini LaManchas are very nice. With a good one, you get the super-sweet LaMancha personality (like a golden retriever dog) in a smaller package. They're good milkers too, if you get one from good bloodlines, half a gallon a day per doe is not out of the question. That's plenty to make lots of cheese (including the inevitable batches that don't work when you're first learning lol) but not enough to be overwhelming. If there are any available in your area, they'd be worth going to look at.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
If you don't mind not knowing for certain if they are pure bred or not, you can check Craigslist for some VERY decently priced goats. We got our 5 goats(2 nigerian does, 2 nigi-pyg bucklings, 1 nigi-pyg doeling) for a grand total of $250!! A massively cheap price for 5 goats in today's economy! Everywhere else we looked in New England, they were $250/goat.

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We have less than an acre to work with and have our smallish flock of chickens (15 hens and 2 roosters) and 2 full size nubian milking does with some room to spare. My does were bought specifically for milk - though we have fallen head over heals for them right away and they are now very much pets too.

The property is not only small, it's on a hillside as well so we've gotten creative with how we use the space available to us. It's working well for us and our animals so far.

As far as breed - perhaps you can find someone with goats and try your hand at milking? I was certain I wanted NDs because of our small space, then I tried milking a Nubian who was a first time freshener with small teats - there wasn't hardly anything for me to get hold of! When I helped at the dairy I hated when it was time to milk her - they used a milk machine but I still had to hand finish and I dreaded her every time. I've been so pleased with my does - they're udders are perfect size for me to milk. The smaller teats made my hands cramp pretty quickly.

Anyway, just some food for thought.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:welcome Of course I think Nigerians are great for small spaces and love the rich milk they produce. They are easy to handle and have great personalities. Whatever decision you make that will work for your situation, welcome to the goat world!

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Welcome to the 1 acre club! :weee Bee and I are also members, and we manage to do lots on one acre! I have up to 2 goats at a time (not including any kids), 2 ewes full time, plus several lambs at a time, plus 30+ laying chickens, turkeys, broiler chickens, and a big garden with room to spare! It takes a little more careful planning and management, but it works!!

I have an Oberhasli, and I love her to pieces. She is calm, quiet, and still has a cute quirky personality. She's a dream to milk and very well behaved on the stand, and she was right from the start. She provides more milk than we can drink, and she's full sized without being huge.

Obers are a little harder to find, depending on where you are. You certainly dont' need a purebred goat, but like you said it will make marketing kids easier. You should have enough room to keep a couple does on your property. And really, I don't think a Nigi would take up that much less space than my doe. :idunno Maybe they would, I'm not sure. I just don't like stooping over all that much. :lol:

Bosky

Just born
Reaction score
Thank you all so much for the tips! I'm still leaning towards the NDs, I think. The couple of you who mentioned it, you're probably right that I could easily fit two standard-size does, but well... knowing my propensity to keep "just one more" maybe allowing for an extra goat or two in the future is a good idea. And, well, just the very idea of bitty little dairy goats has some appeal to me. They are so dang cute!

I like hearing they are feed-efficient for their milk output, too. Not that we're so strapped for cash a few pounds of feed are going to break us -- but I've promised myself that I'm going to try to be practical about this whole farm animal thing, and make them earn their keep. As in, no bantam chickens, pretty though they may be... but miniature goats that produce more for their feed than the big guys? Sure!

4hmama

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We have ND's and love them. I was milking one doe and getting 2 qts per day. Teats are smaller than standards, but if you milk regularly, that increases teat size so that they are easier to milk. The feed/milk conversion ratio is great! Two does would probably produce more than enough milk for you, and take up very little space. Don't get just one, because they do need a buddy!

Good luck!

julieq

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We have one mini (ND/Togg) doe who gives a half gallon per day at the height of her lactation. The other does and our bucks are ND's. We've raised both Nubians and Alpines in the past, but have recently come back to the ND's/minis as they're so much easier to handle. We really feel that for the small amount of hay and grain they consume on a daily basis we get an excellent return in milk production!

AlaskanShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I definitely recommend the Nigerians. We currently live on less than one acre in an apartment attached to my grandmothers house and my parents. So not only do we have 8 human adults, but also 5 ND goats, 40 chickens, 2 ducks, 1 German Shepherd, 1 Holland Lop, 3 adult cats and 3 kittens, with plenty of room to spare. At one time we had 9 Shetland sheep 2 large goats and 1 Nigerian (before I bought my 5) here. You can do a LOT on one acre! Happily this summer only the goats, 5 chickens and maybe 1 cat will be going with my husband and I to the cabin we're building in the middle of nowhere on 4 acres of our own, but access to much much more.

My 5 ND's are currently kept in a 12x12 pen (and I could easily keep more) that I clean out once a month (during the summer, not able to in winter!) they also go for a browse walk at least once a day during the summer, and when it's warm out in the winter I let them out to get more exercise then their pen allows.

MAKE SURE you get well bred Nigerian Dwarf Goats. I'm really surprised when I read about the others on this threads experience with ND's as far as milking. Here in Alaska the well bred Nigies easily sustain the 305 day lactation that they need for testing, and some of the breeders were commenting on how they had difficulty drying up their does because they were still producing a lot. Many still produce a quart a day up till the 305 day point. But this is also coming from Alaska's top breeders that have put thousands of dollars into buying some of the best ND lines in the country and bringing them to AK. Lines such as Piddlin' Acres, Rosashar'n, TX Twin Creeks, Jobi, and Gaymor. That list is just what one breeder has brought up. Other breeders have brought up more lines. Here is a link for you to see how much milk is expected from a top line breeder, so you can know if your dealing with good dairy lines or not.

I have only had my girls for 6 months, and their milk had already been slowed way down before I got them so between that and my pulling them off of grain I eventually had to dry them up after about 6 months from giving birth because I was getting so little. But this time around things will be different. 3 of my girls in the past gave around 1 and 1/2 gallons a day combined, and the other girl that I added to my herd, that has the smallest udder, gives a quart a day at top production.

I cannot stress how important it is that you research research research the lines you want. I didn't research my goats very well until after I had bought them and I believe now that I will be breeding two lines in my herd, one that is rather meaty, but also produces lots of milk, and another that I hope to work in a lot of milk, and they will have good dairy conformation and will be good for me to sell my kids to those who want to show their goats.

Also MAKE SURE they have been tested free of CAE, Johne's, and Brucellosis (sp) and ask if all abscesses have been tested for CL. My goats had been tested 1 1/2 years before I bought them so I thought they would be fine, but now I am dealing with the possibility of them having caught Johne's during the last six months before I bought them because they had been moved to a new property. So if the have been moved to a new property since their last testing insist it be done again before you buy. Otherwise you could be putting hundreds of dollars into animals that you may have to cull.

My ND's are an absolute delight. The only time I have not cared for having goats was before my husband built a sturdy pen out of rough planks from his saw mill. Once my goats figured out that they cannot get out, they don't even try anymore. They are VERY quiet, except for when they need something (missing something in their diet) or are in heat, except for one doe that likes to start announcing about an hour from milking time that she is ready to be milked. :)

They eat very little, and even with the high prices that I pay for everything here in AK my goats will cost me barely over $1000 a year, and that was back when I had 9 that I did that figuring. I also figured that if they give as much milk as they have in the past then I will be paying $1 a gallon for milk. 2 gallons of milk a day will be plenty to make all my dairy products from, plus have some left over to give to my family. So in the long run, my goats are actually saving me money, because I was/am paying $7 a gallon for raw cow's milk from a cow share, plus plenty for the only cheeses I can handle, which are raw or high quality.

Here is a link to show you what a well bred ND should look like. :)

If you look into goats that are ADGA registered, ADGA has this WONDERUL pedigree search so that you can find out who your goats are related to (and thus avoid in breeding, which I highly recommend for anyone who is new to goats). It also will tell you if there is ADGA award winning goats in their lineage, if they have had any registered offspring etc. I have put this tool to MUCH use in the 6 months that I have had my goats. :) http://www.adgagenetics.org/

Happy goat hunting!

**edited to fix some of my horrible grammar and add some links.**

Bosky

Just born
Reaction score
CrownOfThorns, you're my new hero! I just bookmarked all your links. I'm definitely going to be very choosy about who I get my stock from. I've got a few breeders in mind whose websites, at least, go into detail about their disease testing and milk production. I'm still pretty clueless about different lines, but I recognize some of the ones you mentioned. I'm hoping to learn more when I move home and can visit some breeders, and some goats, in person, and hopefully get a little hands-on experience. I really want to start with top quality goats -- for once in my life, I have the money to do it, and if I'm going to keep an animal that must be bred, I figure it's only right to breed the best animals I can.

And I guess I can stop worrying about how well NDs will tolerate Michigan winters, if yours do alright in Alaska! Thank you so much for all the detailed information! About pen size among other things -- I'm planning something just a little larger than that, and hope to let mine out browse some of the rest of the yard, too.

And thanks again to everyone -- I've read a lot of books and websites but hearing from real people is much more helpful!