Cleaning a stinky, sticky rabbit

lastfling

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I plan on taking a couple of my jrs and a sr buck to a show this weekend. The buck is currently a stinky, sticky mess from all the pee he sprays and I was wondering how is the best way to go about cleaning one up to be a little more presentable? Thanks

Petit Jean Bunnies

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have had the same problem with one of my bucks and I am interested in knowing how to clean them up right away as well. As a long term solution though I put a piece of drywall in with the bucks, they can sit on it and chew it. It helps them somehow, I'm not exactly sure what it does, but it defiantly helps!

Good luck!

CYGChickies

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Pet stores have waterless shampoo for rabbits. We just got some for our bucks--they pee on eachothers' heads! I hope it cleans them up because they're gross!

CYG

SarahMelisse

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
CYGChickies said:
Pet stores have waterless shampoo for rabbits. We just got some for our bucks--they pee on eachothers' heads! I hope it cleans them up because they're gross!

CYG
Now that's a good idea! I didn't even think of that. I'll have to get some and see if it takes care of my buck's messy butt.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had NZ whites but the only place they would become dirty was on their feet....sort of stained looking. We shampooed them there with a little...and I do mean a little..bleach in soapy water and used Dawn dishwashing liquid. Dried nice and fluffy...and so very white! Didn't hurt them a bit.

Some folks bathe show lambs in Woollite...could try that.

SarahMelisse

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
secuono said:
I have bathed rabbits in the kitchen sink, you just hold on tight and go slow. Far more scary to wash a rabbit than a cat, though...
My problem with just a plain ol' bath is that I only have angoras. And I'm more than hesitant to bathe my rabbits... they would probably felt! A dry bath seems the safer option.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Would they felt if you use just water or brush the soap into them, not rubbing in?
I've bathed double main lionheads and they didn't felt, then again, not sure if they can...

Could also just use water on only the dirty, sticky sections. Like a warm soak and then brush out the grime?

SarahMelisse

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
secuono said:
Would they felt if you use just water or brush the soap into them, not rubbing in?
I've bathed double main lionheads and they didn't felt, then again, not sure if they can...

Could also just use water on only the dirty, sticky sections. Like a warm soak and then brush out the grime?
Well... I have felted wool with just cold water and a little soap before so it stands to reason it's possible. I have tried just a wet wipe to spot clean, but it didn't seem to do anything.

oneacrefarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Use dry baking soda, let sit and brush out. Takes out urine stains well.

Latest posts