Cleaning the Goat House

Iwantgoats

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yesterday I cleaned out the stall and covered some of the wet spots with baking soda, I then did a layer of shaving and then some straw. I have tons of straw and need to use it up so I think between the two I should be able to figure out something. :D
thanks for the ideas everyone.

And I was wondering, under the mats is gravel, should I just have a dirt/gravel floor instead of the mats?

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Dirt absorbs the urine, which is a huge help. I just have to be watchful that the ground is dry every now and then (the ground slopes a little so the drainage is "suppsed" to run out the side of the barn). The gravel will be like the mats and shavings, impossible to use a hay rake.

It will probably come down to your preference - hosing down mats or hauling up everything and having to use a yard rake to gather up the shavings....

grace6691

Just born
Reaction score
I have rubber mats down and woody pet on top of that... it works well because it's really absorbent and it doesn't have big pieces like straw or shavings so you can see where all the poop is

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
When I have my animals inside, I don't clean out very often at all. I just re-bed as needed. Then I do a major clean out when they're done. The pack stays nice and warm and I don't waste as much bedding that way.

Latest posts