Clutsy pregnant doe

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That doesn't sound normal at all.

Do you have a small, safe pen you can keep her in so she isn't in as much danger of hurting herself or her babies until this gets worked out? A fall like that could injure her or the kids.

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'll second Kate's advice, keeping CMPK on hand is a MUST.

What do you mean arthritis rebecca? Is she very old?

rebecca100

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
She is around five years old from what I was told. I was also told she had a registration which I am still trying to get. I really don't know very much about her. She still has good teeth so I know she is not ancient. The person I got her from I now know was a "goat trader". I DID NOT know that then. But I do not believe that she is diseased.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I would have her tested for CAE. Really even at 5 she shouldn't be arthritic. I have a 6.5 year old that shows no signs of arthritis. This is a Nigerian Dwarf but I would still think that 5 really isn't that old.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
My eldest does are 8 years old - a Nubian and a Nigerian - and neither show any signs of arthritis. I do have a 7 year old buck who's a wee stiff in the rear legs, but not arthritic.

There is something amiss, I hope you're able to get some CMPK in her before she kids and maintain good levels, or you could loose her.

phoenixmama

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm glad I checked this thread...I'll be adding the injectable CMPK to my list. I'm so happy to have a Walco 10 minutes away. It makes things so much easier...

I hope things turn out okay for your doe. :fl

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
When I call my vet, is that how we ask for it? CMPK? Just in case I have to elaborate - I'm kown to cause confusion with my vet and I've only been seeing him for a week! (Doesn't take me long to cause confusion at all :D)

rebecca100

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Soon as this bad weather clears I will take her to the vet. I gave her some homemade CMPK. She is not off feed though. Just the opposite. She tried to take dd down yesterday over a french fry.

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
7- just ask them to order you some CMPK. I don't think there's really any room for error. It's an abbreviation for Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorous, Potassium, but it actually says CMPK on the bottle.

CMPK is injectable. I keep an oral CMPK gel on hand for non-emergencies, but in an emergency you want the injectable. It's less than $4 for a 500mL bottle.

I also have an 8 year old doe who shows no sign of joint problems or stiffness.

rebelINny

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I wonder if that isn't what I lost a four year old doe from recently. She was three weeks from kidding and just crashed. Vet said I should put her down. I wish I hadn't listened and knew about CMPK and tried that first. I don't think the vet was really wanting to help as it was a small animal vet.