Clutsy pregnant doe

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
rebelINny said:
I wonder if that isn't what I lost a four year old doe from recently. She was three weeks from kidding and just crashed. Vet said I should put her down. I wish I hadn't listened and knew about CMPK and tried that first. I don't think the vet was really wanting to help as it was a small animal vet.
It is quite possible. That or toxemia can take a doe down fast. We have the same problem, even the livestock vet in town won't see goats, just doesn't think they are worth the time, since the average cost of a goat here is $25 and the cost of a vet bill is $$$...when I took in an absolutely wonderful doe that was badly bloated, the vet sent her home to die, told me she didn't know what to do about it and it would realistically probably be cheaper to buy a bullet and a new goat. I was told the same by several vets when our favorite doeling got tetanus a few months ago, that they wouldn't advise wasting the money to try treatment :( So I keep a well-stocked medicine cabinet now.

I agree that at 5 she should not be arthritic unless she suffered a bad injury in the past (causing the injured joint to be stiff) or she's CAE positive. I'd definitely think about getting a CAE test, especially if you're planning on letting her nurse her own kids, as she can pass it on to them.

Horsefly

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
n.smithurmond said:
7- just ask them to order you some CMPK. I don't think there's really any room for error. It's an abbreviation for Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorous, Potassium, but it actually says CMPK on the bottle
Okay please excuse my ignorance but where does the "K" come from?

jason_mazzy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Potassium ( /pɵˈtsiəm/ po-TAS-ee-əm) is the chemical element with the symbol K (Neo-Latin kalium), atomic number 19, and atomic mass 39.0983. Elemental potassium is a soft silvery-white metallic alkali metal that oxidizes rapidly in air and is very reactive with water, generating sufficient heat to ignite the hydrogen emitted in the reaction.

rebecca100

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
During the middle of the storm today she went into labor. She had triplets. The second was positioned wrong. When I realized that something was wrong, it was too late. the second baby had it's head back and couldn't be born. I got on the phone with the vet and she talked me through pushing it back, finding it's head which was difficult, and repositioning it. Actually it was my 10 yr old son who was on the phone with the vet telling me what to do or holding it to my ear so I could hear what she had to say myself. The doe was already weak and had quit pushing. We eventually got it positioned and the third came out soon after the second. Both were born dead. The mother is extremely weak. She had 2 girls and 1 boy. The two that died were beautiful black and sliver spotted with frosted ears and noses. I have finally kinda quit crying, almost. I wish I had realized something was amiss sooner. The first little girl is in the house doing okay. I got some colostrum in her and she is alert and happy.

themrslove

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm so sorry for your loss. It is never easy to lose kids. :(
But so happy that there is a precious bouncing little girl to ease the pain! Congrats on one healthy baby! :hugs

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm so very sorry. I am glad the little doeling is doing well. How is mama doing? Is she regaining any strength? I'm sure others will have advice on how to best treat her - she's likely need some follow up care. As are you, so here's me offering my hug --> :hugs Very traumatic, I'm sure, for both you and your son.

Hoping all remains well with your two does.

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am so sorry! :hugs We all understand how you feel.

Kate knows more about this that I do, but hypocalcemia can cause uterine inertia/weak contractions. If mama's weak I would still very much advise getting some injectable CMPK in her- the sudden, extra demands made by milk production are just as likely to cause/contribute to hypocalcemia post-kidding. ESPECIALLY if her appetite is off. I'd also offer plenty of alfalfa if she's eating.

I hope she recovers quickly for you and I'm glad to hear her kid is doing well! :fl

rebelINny

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sorry for your losses but sooooooo glad you were able to have one kid alive and well. I know its hard losing kids though :hugs Hope mom is doing good despite the problems.

rebecca100

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Momma died within 2 hours of delivering the last one. :hit She was in hard labor for WAY too long. She never went off feed. She even nibbled on hay between contractions with the first kid. They were stong contractions, but to start out 2 were trying to come out at once I think. There was what looked like 2 bags coming out. The second one was mispositioned. His head and one leg were back. As soon as the first came out on it's own part of the second's leg came out behind it. I wondered if everything was okay when she quit making progress, but I was hesitating to get involved and possibly hurt her unnecessarily. She pushed hard several times over I don't know how long a period and finally gave up. I realized with panic then that something was seriously wrong. DS who is 10 was with me and we called the vet who guided me through pushing it back, repositioning it and helping to deliver it. While I was in there I found the 3rd baby. The last two were of course dead by now, but they were quite literally the most beautiful spotted babies I had ever seen. They would have been show stoppers if they had lived. I guess between whatever was already wrong and the long labor and stress it was too much for her. I guess if I EVER decide to do this ever again, then I have learned a hard lesson, but gained some knowledge like when NOT to wait. The whole thing seemed to only have lasted a short time, but when I finally got back inside with the new doeling, I had been out with her for nearly 7 1/2 hours. The new doeling however is doing great, but she just can't decide which of us is her momma. She is in the living room sound asleep right now.