Comparing rabbit raising to chicken raising

Mitransplant

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for answering my question. I was at a loss as to what a self was, do remember her saying something about black. Guess now I can act like I know what she was talking about. Appreciate it a lot.

TigerLilly

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
No problem! I had to refresh my memory though...been a while since I even worried about colors.

horsechick

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi,
We have both, as far as taking care of, I would say rabbits are easier, cleaner, and take up MUCH less space.
Both are great to eat.

Sama_Lama

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have both but I've had chickens longer. I would say it probably really depends on how you keep them but mine live together in the same coop. In my situation the chickens are far easier, make less of a mess and provide quite a few eggs but I don't keep chickens for meat, I'm sure that would require quite a bit more work. The bunnies are kept in hanging cages over the chickens but they are pooping machines! Even with both it's not a lot of extra work for me, but I'm sure if they weren't in hanging wire cages it would add 10 fold to my choir load.
I haven't processed bunnies yet but I have heard they are quite easy, again, I think it's just whatever you are use to.

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would rather butcher a rabbit all day long over a chicken. I find that to be a process. Rabbits are quick and easy. And of course, any butchering is easier if you have an area set up to do it.
I find we can only eat 4-5 ounces of rabbit meat as it is more filling and still light. I have both chickens and rabbits but my chickens are for eggs as I only have 3 and am in the city.
I dont know what your set up is like but you can check my page... my set up is quite easy to care for.
And for fly control, christmas tree shaped car fresheners in VANILLA spaced out 4-5 feet do wonders! I use them every summer now.

the lady with 4 dogs, 3 city chickens, 6 meat rabbits, their kits and a lizard

gocrow77

Just born
Reaction score
I am also in the group that would rather butcher a rabbit than a chicken. However, chickens provide you with both meat and eggs - rabbits just give you meat. I tend not to butcher too many chickens at once, but will butcher and remove and trouble making extra roos or unproductive hens one or sometimes a few at a time. Rabbit meat is one the the most dense and nutritious meats available - we love it!