Conformation

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
Royd Wood said:
In England on my fathers farm we had an Aberdeen Angus for serving the dairy heifers and a Hereford bull (very dark red dehorned as a calf - not polled) for serving the Friesian (not holstein) milking herd. Used AI for the best cows.
They were nice sized bulls, stocky and solid with good attitude especially the Hereford who was easy to work with. Move on 40 years and yes things have changed in most breeds and as much as I dislike a huge angus (not Aberdeen) I'm really not keen on the mini cow fad which include Mini Galloways - to me working and breeding good healthy animals to improve the breed makes sense but cant get my head around the mini craze paying double money for half a cow.
Yes, the mini cow is cute and all but still half a cow and the work of a cow. This spring I purchased 40 sticks of AI from an Irish hereford bull, 38 are pregnant now and should throw some nice calves.

CESpeed

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
When I saw the "panda cows", my reaction was what a cute mascot if one had farm visitors. If one had a farm that would get a lot of visitors, I would think a many cow would be cute as a mascot/greeter, but that would be it.

Royd Wood

Reaction score
CESpeed said:
When I saw the "panda cows", my reaction was what a cute mascot if one had farm visitors. If one had a farm that would get a lot of visitors, I would think a many cow would be cute as a mascot/greeter, but that would be it.
Hi CE
yep agree what's the point having a mascot- Panda cows come from Belted Galloways and we get plenty of traffic coming to a halt when my real Belties are in the front fields
Sorry op for drifting from subject - Why are all US cattle rectangle :hide :hide :hide Not my quote :lol:

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
Royd Wood said:
CESpeed said:
Hi CE
yep agree what's the point having a mascot- Panda cows come from Belted Galloways and we get plenty of traffic coming to a halt when my real Belties are in the front fields
Sorry op for drifting from subject - Why are all US cattle rectangle :hide :hide :hide Not my quote :lol:
Lol, its ok, I'm starting to see this forum has trouble with staying on subject, which I admit to as well.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
Plus I remember my first time seeing a Belted Galloway and just loving the color as I love Oreo's and went on to call them the Oreo cow in references of the future.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Royd Wood said:
77Herford said:
Plus I remember my first time seeing a Belted Galloway and just loving the color as I love Oreo's and went on to call them the Oreo cow in references of the future.
Also known as OPP cows here (Ontario Provincial Police) Here's a great photo from Big Curve Acres website http://bigcurveacres.com/Galloway.html
What's that a stand off? Love the picture of the black and whites. Car and cattle. :)

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
Royd Wood said:
77Herford said:
Also known as OPP cows here (Ontario Provincial Police) Here's a great photo from Big Curve Acres website http://bigcurveacres.com/Galloway.html
:lol::yuckyuck

Royd Wood

Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
Royd Wood said:
77Herford said:
What's that a stand off? Love the picture of the black and whites. Car and cattle. :)
:lol:

I think the cows have taken a New York Strip off him and giving him the Rib Eye

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score