Cookie Tin Heater for horses water

RayNC

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Today I built a large version of a cookie tin heater for my horse's water bucket.
I used the top 1/3 of a steel 55 gallon drum, mounted a ceramic lamp socket on a 2x4 flat and fastened it inside the drum with the bulb facing up, added a short cord and plug, installed a 200 watt bulb and set the half full 16 gallon tub on top of it. It seems to be working well right now. I wouldn't recommend it for the colder temps up north but for these cold 20 degree Carolina nights it should help keep the ice down to a minimum.

FlipFlopFarmer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
cool idea, i have seen the cookie tin waterers online on backyard chickens, and while i dont worry about that much here in louisiana, i love to read about peoples creativity in caring for animals.

I would worry about fire though, I have heard, seen, and read so many horror stories about barns, coops, enclosures burning because of faulty electrical wiring and / or faulty bulbs.

I would rather my horses just be thirsty for an hour or two until I can get outside and bust some ice up, or pour some hot water on the top. But, I can imagine if you have many animals, it could be quite a chore.