Copper Bolus Dosing Question??

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I went to Jeffers and they have Copasure..for cattle. Smallest dose they have is for 150-300lbs calf???? Manufacturer recomends not splitting capsule?? Soooo....

Am I missing something?? Is there a capsule for goats???

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
No you just split the capsule. I'm sure they don't recommend it because you would want to give the whole bolus to a cow. For Nigerians, I just split it in thirds.

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok...sooo..next question..how do you give it to them once split up??? And it is actually "rods" ??? Do you use a Balling gun???

Sorry...I never had to give it...so Im curious and If Im gonna I dont wanna do it wrong...

Thanks for the help!

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I just ordered some myself and would love to have some additional guidance about the dosing.

I found something online that they recommended giving 1 gram of the copasure for every 22 pound of goat. From what I understood, you open the capsule, measure it out and put the rods into a new gelatin capsule. Is this correct? I ordered empty capsules and a balling gun along with the copasure. :idunno

I would prefer not having to measure out every capsule individually. I would either have to catch them all twice, once to weigh and the other to dose or I would have to have someone hold on while I measure. Really dont want to do either. :hide

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
There's a lady that sells them and she does 1.5 grams of Cu per gel cap to treat 33 lbs.

And Jodie, can't you just make up the boluses before you go out to do the herd? You can make all the gel caps the same dose, that way you know how many boluses you need per goat and can bolus them that way.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Emmetts Dairy said:
Ok...sooo..next question..how do you give it to them once split up??? And it is actually "rods" ??? Do you use a Balling gun???

Sorry...I never had to give it...so Im curious and If Im gonna I dont wanna do it wrong...

Thanks for the help!
Yes, you use a balling gun.

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
jodief100 said:
I just ordered some myself and would love to have some additional guidance about the dosing.

I found something online that they recommended giving 1 gram of the copasure for every 22 pound of goat. From what I understood, you open the capsule, measure it out and put the rods into a new gelatin capsule. Is this correct? I ordered empty capsules and a balling gun along with the copasure. :idunno

I would prefer not having to measure out every capsule individually. I would either have to catch them all twice, once to weigh and the other to dose or I would have to have someone hold on while I measure. Really dont want to do either. :hide
Thats what I read too...I think Im gonna weigh and right that down and make the capsules..

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have the copper sitting in a box waiting for me to do something with it :)

I don't have a balling gun and wouldn't know what to do with it if I did. I am going to try this with my goaties.

http://www.goatspots.com/copper.html

Marshmallows seem like more fum IMO. I will start taking them some with no copper in it to see if I can get them to eat it and go from there.

Mine are also low in zinc, but I have an injectable for that. Wish I had one for copper.