Copper (Copasure) Bolus for goats

TGreenhut

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Who gives their goats Copasure Bolus? We have never given this, but a local breeder suggested that we give each adult goat one 12.5 gm copasure bolus, twice a year. Would you recommend this since we live in a copper deficient area? We give our goats free choice minerals but the breeder says that it still doesn't have enough copper.

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I did for the first time this year.

I found my goats had a near immediate improvement in their coat condition and one girls color came in drastically darker in just a few days.

I only have nigerians so I split the capsule down quite a bit...can't remember off the top of my head, but a whole one seems like a lot??? How big are your goats? I think I read on here about someone with boers giving a whole capsule.....

I use sweetlix magnum milk for my goats and they still need copper and BoSe. The vet originally wouldn't give me the BoSe because when she was out to our house, She said they all looked healthy and fine. When my mama delivered and the babies legs were weak I rushed them in to the vet, and the selenium fixed them up right away. I realize you are pretty far away, but I would ask the vets around you if goats in your area seem to be needing the selenium as well as the copper. (Maybe the breeder could tell you if you need the selenium too???)

Somewhere on here (BYH) is the dose for the copper.

I am in central California BTW.

AdoptAPitBull

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I only give it as needed. I, too, saw almost immediate improvement in the coat color, sheen, and feel. But don't give it unless they really need it. Copper toxicity is no joke.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I copper bolus every year and have some goats that need it twice a year. Since I have Nigerians, they get 4g each.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We copper bolus twice a year, we only give the adults half the copper rods in the capsul. It isn't eay to get the bolus down them, maybe you could have the local breeder give you a demonstration of what they are doing. We got tired of chocking the goats and know we take a 6 cc syringe, cut the end off of it, pour in a little mollasses, pourin half the copper oxide rods from one bolus, top it off with more molasses and stick in the backof the mouth as far as we can get it. Seemed towork pretty well with very lilttle chewing. Know one could ask, "Are the copper rods getting into the correct stomach and working properly by removing them fromthe bolus?" I don't know the answer to that.

Marianne

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I got some new Nubians this year with sparse coats, just no shine. Really got to see what a difference that copper bolus made ... sheen appeared and coloration changed to a darker shade within about a week. Took a month or so for their coats to grow in thicker and beautiful. All of the goats around here will continue 2X/year. Jeffers has small gelatin capsules to fill that slip right down. If you don't like splitting the dosage in those huge caps, check the internet. I think someone is providing capsules in goat-size, but didn't write down the source because I have a boat load of the big ones.

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Since I have full size goats, Nubians, I gave each one of mine a full 12,.5 g. capsule of copasure.

This was a month ago, and I can see a marked difference in their appearance.

I used a capsule bolusing tube, stuck it in the back of their tongue and down it went. Easy peasy.

DonnaBelle

Mine are now so shiny you can see your face in their coats!!

TGreenhut

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ragdollcatlady said:
I did for the first time this year.

I found my goats had a near immediate improvement in their coat condition and one girls color came in drastically darker in just a few days.

I only have nigerians so I split the capsule down quite a bit...can't remember off the top of my head, but a whole one seems like a lot??? How big are your goats? I think I read on here about someone with boers giving a whole capsule.....

I use sweetlix magnum milk for my goats and they still need copper and BoSe. The vet originally wouldn't give me the BoSe because when she was out to our house, She said they all looked healthy and fine. When my mama delivered and the babies legs were weak I rushed them in to the vet, and the selenium fixed them up right away. I realize you are pretty far away, but I would ask the vets around you if goats in your area seem to be needing the selenium as well as the copper. (Maybe the breeder could tell you if you need the selenium too???)

Somewhere on here (BYH) is the dose for the copper.

I am in central California BTW.
I give the same loose minerals. I also supplement with Selenium/Vitamin E gel once a month because we have yet to find a vet who will give us BoSe.

TGreenhut

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies. I definitely am going to look into giving my goats copper bolus.

Renegade

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We give a whole bolus twice a year. Have been for many years. We use a calf balling gun and it's been very easy.
It's very hard to overdose a goat with Copasure. The copper in it breaks down so slowly. Earlier this year we accidently dosed a 100# doe twice within a one month period with a whole bolus each time and she never missed a beat. I just laugh when people insist you will overdose a goat if you give more then 1gr/22#.
Now if you overdose copper sulfate you will kill a goat.

Donna

Latest posts