couple questions bout oir bottle calf

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
dragonmorgan said:
Ok so a morning update. I only gave her one bottle this morn and then filled a bucket half full with the feed. She was a lil spooked by the red bucket but i offered her some in my hand. While she was eatin it i lead her down to the bucket. That was all it took. She went right to work on that feed. I think its safe to say she likes it lol
Nice! :thumbsup

I don't know if this is true or just a bunch of malarky about the color red. But when I wear my read sweatshirt out near the cows, my big steer starts actin' all a fool. I've tested it many times. It's just the red. Maybe she was spooked by the red bucket or maybe my steer is just foolish! But anyway, I am happy for you that she dove right in!

dragonmorgan

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Lol i didnt even think of that. Hopefully she wont mind the color red too much. Any ideas how long it will take to notice any differences in her? Do i just leave her some out all the time or should i only feed her a little a day?

redtailgal

Reaction score
I wouldnt leave it out all day.

Give her a small amount each day. Once her poop is normal ease up on it.

How old is she?

dragonmorgan

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Not really sure. I dont think shes older than 2 months but im not sure how to tell. I can post a couple pics if anyone on here can guess by lookin.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
WildRoseBeef said:
dragonmorgan said:
Ill do some comparing when i get home. Id like to say iys not bvd because she came from a herd of cows who are better maintained yhan ours are. Also shes not weak and she has a great appetite. No runny nose and doesnt feel feverish (altho ive never tested her actual rectal temp). She looks healthy and eats good. Aside from the diarrhea and non-playfulness she seems pretty normal. Is there anything else that might could tell me if it is something like bvd or cocci?
I know for sure that scours is caused by all sorts of types of bacteria, from E. coli to Streptococcus and Salmonella. You never mentioned what her breathing was like, as calves her age are prone to getting respiratory disease (like pneumonia) which can cause her to be lethargic like she is. Is her nose dry, does she have laboured breathing, coughing, snotty nose, anything like that?
Did I miss a post somewhere? I cant find anything about this calf being lethargic, all I see are posts saying that she is acting fine, being a little difficult to catch even. No problems other than the squirts.

I just reread the thread and still dont see it. Am I missing a post?
It's just when she said the calf wasn't acting all goofy and playful like she should and laying around a lot, that's what I took as being lethargic. Maybe "lethargic" was the wrong word to use here...

Dragon, you could check her age by looking at her teeth. Though you may have to catch her first and get her cornered somewhere with your hubby holding on to her while you check her teeth. Though I'd have to find a link on determining age via teeth on a calf first before you can do that lol.

dragonmorgan

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I tried to get a few good pics of her but it was tough to get her to be still. The flies in her pen are ridiculous. Im sure it has to do with the 70 degree weather we are having. We need a good freeze to hit us for a couple days. I dont know where our winter is but it must be runnin very late. Is there anything I can do to or are flies in the pen just a part of it?

6080_dsc02053.jpg

6080_dsc02055.jpg

redtailgal

Reaction score
aww. She is a pretty thing, isnt she! Dont you just love their faces?

SHe looks pretty good in that pic. Ears up, alert, doe eyed, and a little mischievous... Your doing a good job with her. I'd say about 6-8 weeks old.

Just ease up on her milk, 2 two quart bottles with free choice hay, and grain each day should be plenty for her.

dragonmorgan

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
She def seems to be up and around more than usual since i gave her that feed. I caught her eatin it a few times today. She even came up and smelled my hand :woot. Thanks guys. I love little cutesy calves and its so cool to have one of our own now.