Cows Milk Question ???

Holsteno

Just born
Reaction score
I just bu=ought me a cow, and she is giving me 4 gals a day, and now I'm wondering how long can I keep it before it goes bad?

I'm going to make cheese and other milk products, but I sell some of the milk and i get that Question and so I'm hoping you guys can help me with the answer!!

Thanks, Nava i mean Holsteno :ya

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It all depends on how clean the milk is. Do you carefully clean the teats before milking? Do you clean and wash your hands before handling the teats. Do you strip out a couple squirts before saving the milk? Are your collection utensils sterile? Do you cover the milk immeiately after the milking? Do you cool it really quickly, and is the storage temperature correct? After milking, do you dip the teats?

As you can tell, there are many variables in how long the milk will last. The secret is to minimize bacterial contamination, and cool it fast, and to the correct temperature.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
jhm47 is correct.

Milk from your own cow doesn't go bad like what you buy in the store, it sours and can still be used for baking etc...

If everything is done properly two weeks is nothing unusual for milk to keep. You can also freeze it.

Holsteno

Just born
Reaction score
jhm47 said:
It all depends on how clean the milk is. Do you carefully clean the teats before milking? check Do you clean and wash your hands before handling the teats.check Do you strip out a couple squirts before saving the milk?did not know that one Oops Are your collection utensils sterile?check Do you cover the milk immeiately after the milking?check Do you cool it really quickly, and is the storage temperature correct?yes 38* After milking, do you dip the teats?what does this mean?

As you can tell, there are many variables in how long the milk will last. The secret is to minimize bacterial contamination, and cool it fast, and to the correct temperature.
thanks for your help.

CESpeed

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Since I am now tinkering with the idea of milking Red Polls, I am anxiously awaiting the answers to this post myself. Is that 38 celsius or farenheit?

herfrds

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Teat dip is a product that you dip the cows teats into to help prevent bacteria from getting into their teats and causing mastitisis. Also helps to keep them clean because cows will lay in their own fesces.