coyote

outlawfarmer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Saturday night 930p dogs flipped out and my kid says he saw 2 coyote near goat pen. Shotgun....search...made noise.... back to bed... Monday afternoon neighbor drove by and stated she saw one coyote on hill overlooking pen. Now its Wednesday and what should I do besides buy more ammo?

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Llamas are good for guarding too.

I would consider putting up an electric fence, but 'yotes can dig under fences, so be aware.

outlawfarmer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Dug out the electric fence charger and started getting goats used to it. Went around and put posts in backgrounyesterday and today. Got a few more to get planted then its either string wire or mesh. Welded wire is so much cheaper than woven. Electric fence wire is cheapest of all so well see

FarmScapeGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We have to deal with both coyotes, and coy dogs. I honestly would rather deal with the coyotes. I use electric fencing around all the main pens. In most cases, letting your dogs have a good bark is quite enough to scare them away to a safe distance. When all else fails, I've had to sit in a tree stand, and set traps in the past. We're 40 acres of heavy forest though. Beautiful, but such a pain sometimes.

RJSchaefer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
More ammo. We're overrun with coyotes here. Nothing discourages them but a well placed round. They charged right at us one night when we were out with our chickens. A few rounds out of my boyfriend's .22 mag got them to scatter, but they come back.

If you're going through a predator food shortage like we are (the reason they've become so bold), I'd be worried about using a guard animal.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
RJSchaefer said:
More ammo. We're overrun with coyotes here. Nothing discourages them but a well placed round. They charged right at us one night when we were out with our chickens. A few rounds out of my boyfriend's .22 mag got them to scatter, but they come back.

If you're going through a predator food shortage like we are (the reason they've become so bold), I'd be worried about using a guard animal.
Wow. Nasty. Where do you live? :/

FarmScapeGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
^^^ Exactly! We're getting to that point around here. I can only imagine that this next fall is going to become quite rough.

dhansen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have LOTS of coyotes, mountain lions and an occasional bear wanting to come eat my goats. They still run outside the fencing sometimes, but don't ever venture in because my LDG would rip them apart. We even have week old babies out in the field with no worries.