coyotes bothering calves?

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
we have our bred cows on a 40 acre field......a highland with massive horns, and 3 polled bred cows. will coyotes bother them when the babies are born? I KNOW this is not an exact science, just peoples opinion. but what is everyone else's experience? There is houses within eyesight, and we check them once a day......I hate to bring them into a dry lot, but if we need to.......we can. Anyone?
Oh, coyotes have been seen in the general area, but so far none have bothered the sheep across the road or the horses........

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
since you havent heard of any yotes bothering cows as they are calving.i doubt the yotes will bother them.they are pretty watchful when they calve.

allenacres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
From experience, I know the Highland cows are very protective of their calves. If our dogs go in the pasture when they have a new calf, mama cow is watching. I remember the first year I got the month old calf in the round pen and lassoed a leg (trying to catch her for halter training) and she started bawling. You never saw two cows come running so fast! And what a racket...moooo mooo mooooo!!!!
We also have coyotes here, but a no climb fence around the pasture for the cows and calves for the first 2 months, and that is close to the house. Mostly because I have limited pasture and the other pasture is high tension and easy for a calf to get under in spots.

Friends of mine in WA have a much much bigger pasture and a much bigger herd, and they have mountain lions. They lost a foal to it one year, but never any cattle. So I would say your future calves are safe. I think a calf would be too big for a coyote to take on.

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for thier replies, I think we will just keep a close eye on them but let them do thier thing. There is plenty of food in the wild for the coyotes right now, if it were winter I wouldn't even have asked the question....they are like vultures when the snow comes. Thanks again everyone. I am so happy to have this forum. BYC has been my friend and savior, now this comes along! YAY!!!! :weee

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You shouldn't have a problem. We have had coyotes as close as 2 ft. from our back door-it's the one we use all the time too-and not had any trouble with coyotes bothering the calves that are hooked at the calf hutches. What easier meal than a hooked calf and no mother to protect it?

Chris aka Barney

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If I where you I'd put a guard Llama in with them! We have a lot of Coyotes around here. Our farms all butt up against a forest and then a creek. They all live in there. When we built our chicken coop we built it along side the llama barn, inside the fencing . The Llamas won't let them at the chickens. I did however lose my goose in broad day light a couple of years ago. Those dang coyotes came up & dragged her away. Both my goose and gander are free roaming during the day. We always bring them in at night. This was rare. It was in the spring. Maybe they needed food for their pups? :coolsun

laughingllama75 said:
we have our bred cows on a 40 acre field......a highland with massive horns, and 3 polled bred cows. will coyotes bother them when the babies are born? I KNOW this is not an exact science, just peoples opinion. but what is everyone else's experience? There is houses within eyesight, and we check them once a day......I hate to bring them into a dry lot, but if we need to.......we can. Anyone?
Oh, coyotes have been seen in the general area, but so far none have bothered the sheep across the road or the horses........

Ozark Hen

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Most generally, coyotes won't bother them at this time of year. The food chain is plentiful for the coyotes now. Come winter might be a different story. If your cattle are very protective you are probably ok. I agree though to put either a Great Pyr in there or llama or donkey, just something to give you peace of mind.

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
LOL, my guard llamas rebeled against the cattle. they made it perfectly clear, they WILL NOT be in the same vicinity as a "smelly old cow". :(
they are great for the sheep, goats and mini's, but cattle..... not happening. We had already tried, I should have had it on video. :ep

Chris aka Barney

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
That would have been a great video! :clap

laughingllama75 said:
LOL, my guard llamas rebeled against the cattle. they made it perfectly clear, they WILL NOT be in the same vicinity as a "smelly old cow". :(
they are great for the sheep, goats and mini's, but cattle..... not happening. We had already tried, I should have had it on video. :ep

Latest posts