Crossing wild to domestic for meat quality

Irishmeat

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Any europeans here cross wild rabbits into their domestic stock to improve the quality of the meat. I realise that american wild rabbits are a different species to domestic rabbits and cant cross breed.

woodleighcreek

The Rabbit Queen
Reaction score
I don't think they can cross breed as they have a different number of chromosomes.

eta: sorry, didn't see you said European wild rabbits. Sorry!

dewey

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Irishmeat said:
Any europeans here cross wild rabbits into their domestic stock to improve the quality of the meat. I realise that american wild rabbits are a different species to domestic rabbits and cant cross breed.
Even if possible, I'm curious how that would be considered an improvement on domestic rabbit meat quality.

:welcome

eta: is domestic meat there of low quality?

hoodat

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
An occasional cross like that (if possible) migh reinvigorate the line but then you'd have to breed some of the undesirable traits back out.

dewey

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
hoodat said:
An occasional cross like that (if possible) migh reinvigorate the line but then you'd have to breed some of the undesirable traits back out.
My thinking, also, regarding, basically, reinventing the wheel.

OP, meat quality of wild european rabbit (not wild european domestic rabbit) is usually not considered a desirable quality to attain to.....selective breeding was used to breed out certain qualities of the true european wild rabbit to improve meat quality.

I'm still very curious about the reasons it would be considered an improvement on meat quality of domestics.

Irishmeat

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
It is possible to use a wild buck. it will obviously decrease the size of the offspring however it adds a gamey taste aswell as producing healthier more desease resistant stock. very suitable as grazing/ pasture reared rabbits in chicken tractors or whatever you want to use. You may argue that wild rabbits can transfer disease to domestics but if you know that an area is free from VHD or myxomatosis, by breeding in wild blood to your stock you are effectively vaccinating the offspring as wild rabbits have built up resistance to harmfull diseases through natural selection. hope this helps.

dewey

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Irishmeat said:
It is possible to use a wild buck. it will obviously decrease the size of the offspring however it adds a gamey taste aswell as producing healthier more desease resistant stock. very suitable as grazing/ pasture reared rabbits in chicken tractors or whatever you want to use. You may argue that wild rabbits can transfer disease to domestics but if you know that an area is free from VHD or myxomatosis, by breeding in wild blood to your stock you are effectively vaccinating the offspring as wild rabbits have built up resistance to harmfull diseases through natural selection. hope this helps.
Ah...thanks for the reply. Regarding the meat quality, it wouldn't be something that's my cup of tea (to me, the less gamey qualities the better :D) but to each their own.
I didn't know that some wild rabbits are immune to VHD, etc., or isolated from its spread. Interesting.

Irishmeat

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Natural sellection is an amazing thing. No amount of human interferance is as good as it when it comes to survival of the fittest. We can however borrow some of those genes from the wild into our own stock. making the stock much hardier and healthier. rabbits can even be free ranged this way.

Latest posts