dairy type?

StoneWallFarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm interested in the replies. My NDs are very small framed and on the lower end of the breed standard size. I have a friend who's NDs are at least as big as my Alpines and much heavier bodied. She says they're very "dairy".

The bigger the goat the more milk capacity, correct? But isn't the perk of NDs to have a small goat with nice milking ability?

Mine are so small that I worry they won't be good milkers.

Kitsara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
From what I understand, ND's should basically just look like smaller dairy goats. So you have that angular look to them. Unlike the look of say a pygmy or a boar which have a more muscular look. Course, I'm still trying to develop my eye on what to look for on conformation. Been utilizing the conformation pages in my Dairy Goat Journals, course, I've only two to date with my subscription, but it was one of the best Christmas gifts I've ever received.

Course, my two 1/2 ND girls don't seem to have that dairy look at all. They've always seemed to be a little more 'beefy' looking than their mother. Maybe that'll change? This is them at six months, course they do have quite the coat on them at the moment. So... hmm.
08-Nougat-With_Taffy.jpg

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Jane is my least dairy type girl.

She is my smallest ND. She isn't stocky like a pygmy but she is stockier than my dairy type girls. She is shorter in body length (for a dairy animal the longer the body, the more space for kids). Her legs are so short, I can barely get a measuring cup underneath her for milking (milking girls with longer legs are a clear benefit here). Her teats are tiny (clearly bigger teats are a desirable trait for easy milking), but with that said, she gives close to what my bigger girls give milk wise, we averaged 3 cups a day for the time we milked last year (though it wasn't very long and was very trying as she had never been milked before and preferred to sit in the cup rather than cooperate. She has firm hips and shoulders and while the black under her belly makes her shape look a little odd, it's just the fur color, she has a nice balanced little, stocky, not very dairy typed body.

4649_dsc02786.jpg

Reese is a very dairy typed goat. She has a longer body, longer legs a longer, thinner neck and much bigger teats.

4649_dsc04255.jpg

Spellbound is very dairy, but what I would call sturdier or less refined. Basically a little less feminine looking. She is tall and long like Reese. Her teats are longer, but not as big as Reeses but she is wider in the hips and shoulder. That is good for supporting a belly full of babies. Her neck isn't as refined andd her face isn't as feminine, but I still think she is pretty!

4649_dsc04083.jpg

This pic shows her chest width, though it is easier to see if you are looking at them in person.

4649_dsc04065.jpg

Truffles is shorter (not as short as Jane). She isn't as big as her mom and still has the unfinished, not quite grown yet look. But you can see she is long in the body, has shorter, slightly stockier legs, and neck.

4649_dsc04245.jpg

Hope that helps some. Once you see them side by side it is easy to see the differences. Of the babies from Jane and Reese, Janes are super sturdy, square on their feet. Reeses are more fragile looking with long thin legs and bodies.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
ragdollcatlady gave you a very good answer.

I've never heard "dairy type". I've heard "dairy character".

Her description is spot on. Ideally the animal will be strong and powerful, but fined boned and feminine (I know sounds like a contradiction, with ND's you look for the right balance) Angular (you like to see the pelvis bones) with a long thin neck and level top line but slightly taller at the withers..

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you go to my website. Ginger and Cookie are powerful looking. Rosmary is very fined boned and feminine. Zamia and Coleus are about the right mix.