day 154 STILL no lamb *but* her sister finally lambed (pics: post #13)

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Of course she had to wait for *really crappy* weather :p It was cold, windy and pouring rain last night. I went out at 1 a.m., sheep were perfectly normal. Went back out at 5 a.m. after walking the dog, and there was a lamb! Woo hoo! :) It had clearly *just* been born, probably mere minutes before I got out there.

She was in the lee of the big barn, but I moved her into the more protected shed and shut them in there with a sheet of plywood and some close-boarded pallets. Trimmed the umbilical and dipped it in iodine, and let them be.

The funny thing is that at 5 I *assumed* it was the overdue ewe, Hope, but when I took the kids out to see the lamb this morning before the schoolbus, I realized "Hey... wait... that's *Peace*!" She was just day 147. Oh well, details details. Hope is still vast with lamb and apparently planning on staying that way forever.

I am not certain whether the lamb has sucked, much if at all. It's certainly been up and pokin' around back there in the exact right place, but only for maybe 20 seconds at a time does it get all tail-wiggly. Then either Peace moves aside, or the lamb gives up and goes to have a lie-down. How active is a <6 hrs old lamb supposed to be?

I figure I will give it a few more hours and see how it seems, if there is a question I suppose I will try to halter and tie the ewe and try to encourage the lamb to get a better drink but I am not sure how that will work, or milk her out a bit into a cup and syringe feed the lamb if I have to?

(e.t.a. - was out there just now, got Peace up and the lamb went in to suck, I hunkered down and pulled some wool otu of the way so I could see what was going on, the lamb definitely had the teat and was sucking for 15 sec or so but then quit. Is this appropriate for a newborn, or what? Milk [well, colostrum presumably] does come out when I try both teats by hand, so I *assume* the lamb was getting some?)

(edited again to add -- forgot to say, it's a girl :))

Pat

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
:weee

Congrats!!!! :thumbsup And a ewe lamb to boot! :D

If you stripped the teats so you know they're not plugged, and you saw the ewe with a teat in her mouth, it's safe to assume she's nursing sufficiently well. One thing to check is what she does after she's gotten up from laying down. If she stands up and stretches, she's good. If she just stands and is all hunchy and pathetic looking, she's probably cold and hungry.

But it sounds like everything is going just fine! Yay!!! :woot

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yes, isn't Peacey clever to have had a girl :)

Lamb stretches upon rising, exactly as you describe, so *hopefully* ok. I am a worrywart, I know, but I just have nothing to *compare* her to, to know what normal is.

Here are some pics taken a couple minutes ago:

572_newbornlambapr4_003.jpg

572_newbornlambapr4_012.jpg

:)

Pat

Royd Wood

Reaction score
Pleased for you Pat and the lamb has fed fine, I can tell off the photo - head up happy lamb expression and ears back

nsanywhere

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
DARLING!!! There's nothing like a baby lamb :)

Congratulations!

puredelite

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So glad that you finally have you a lamb, bet Peacey's sister will probably soon surprise you as well. They do seem to like to wait til the weather takes a turn for the worse! I have heard that a low pressure system for some reason causes births to happen. Last week I had about 7 ewes lamb in two days, weather had just turned cold and snowy. You would do well to keep a bottle of sheep "Nutri-Drench" on hand. It really gives new-borns a jump start, great for weak, cold lambs as it gives them the energy to get up and search for that teat.

kooltex

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
AWE!! Cute Pic! Such a cutie pie mamma and baby.