Decision MADE!

CESpeed

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
After careful consideration and ranch visits I am officially in love with Red Poll cattle! They are absolutely the sweetest things ever. And I absolutely LOOOOOVE that I can milk them should I so desire. (The jury is still out on milking)

What made me ultimately decide was the fact that they are dual purpose, love to be petted AND like Galloway, they are high in omega-3, which contributes to heart health. I am totally excited. Now to make pig breed selection.....

theawesomefowl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Cool! Be sure to post photos when you get some!! *goes off to look up Red Polls* ..Nice!

Royd Wood

Reaction score
In a roundabout way you will have Galloway blood in those vanes. The Galloway breed were used to create Red Poll.
Good luck with your cattle when do you hope to get some
The omega 3 depends on their diet, strict grassfed = higher omega 3 grain fed = higher omega 6

CESpeed

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I was just starting to reseach how to get the highest omega-3 in my babies. What's omega-6? (already looking it up) What kind of grass do you feed your Galloways? Does grass based hay like Bermuda or Timothy count as grass fed?

Thank you very much for answering the question in my head. And the ones posted above. :D

Royd Wood

Reaction score
CESpeed said:
I was just starting to reseach how to get the highest omega-3 in my babies. What's omega-6? (already looking it up) What kind of grass do you feed your Galloways? Does grass based hay like Bermuda or Timothy count as grass fed?

Thank you very much for answering the question in my head. And the ones posted above. :D
Strictly grassfed pasture / hay gives your beef a higher omega 3 ratio and a lower omega 6 ratio. Grain fed is the other way round The downside is your looking at 2 winters to finish your beef the grassfed way as age is 26 to 28 months to finish weight. 2 winters is a big prob for some and hay costs need to be considered.