dehorning paste

lolalucy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Has anyone used dehorning paste? If so were the results good?
Thanks!

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
JMO...not a good idea...Unless you can make 100% sure it stays only on the horn bud...In the eyes is REALLY not good...

lolalucy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks I figured it was too good to be true.

rmbouillon

Just born
Reaction score
I hate this stuff.. every goat I've seen it used on has ended up with very bad deformed twisted or spiraled scurs. Would rather leave full natural horns..

lolalucy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks I am definately not going to use it.

Horsefly

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
There is a good post a few pages back with some good info in it. I tried it resently takeing all the precations and I don't think I put enough because he is getting little horn spots. I think it's easier to just burn them. JMOE

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of dehorning in any form, but if you are going to do it, disbudding with a hot iron is the easiest way to go, for both you and the goat. It sounds awful, but it is quick and they forget it fast. Banding is a slow process, doesn't work right if you don't get the bands in the right place (which can be hard to do on a scared goat slinging its head around!), and it seems to give them a bad headache for days, if not weeks. I've never done the paste, but heard horror stories. If we take horns off a kid, we disbud, we do it as fast as we can get it done safely, and give them a baby aspirin and warm milk when it is over. They'll sleep it off and be fine within a day.