Develope a sqaure photo?

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Is there a way for me or a photo company that will develop a square photo for me?

I have tried walmart and shutterfly. They all crop them to the standard 4x6, 5x7 ect..... Walmart does offer a 12x12 faux canvas print, but it is $20 for one.

I would like to print 3 square pictures of my son's rabbits and hang them as art work in the room. the pictures look better square rather than rectangle shape.

I was thinking 7x7 inches or around that.

My options at this point, print them on my home printer, The pictures look okay, but the photo doesn't hold up, I do have a laminator so i could laminate the pictures before mounting.

Have them printed as an 8x10 and cut them down to a square, but I don't really have a good way to make a perfect square when cutting a photo out.

Any suggestions????

3140_rabbits4.jpg

3140_rabbits5.jpg

Little One

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Have you looked for a photo mat with a square opening? You'll probably have to go to a craft store like Michaels. Then you can have the photo printed large enough to be able to tape the photo in the position you want behind it. That's if you were planning to frame them.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My vision is to mount it ontop of a square plaque of some sort, with an inch or two of the plaque sticking out, but I could give up that vision and go with square frames and mating. I am probably over thinking this idea.

I will consider your suggestion. Thank you.

redtailgal

Reaction score
You could check for a local artist's guild.......many photographers do their own printing, and would be able to print for you (dont pay more than 10$ TOTAL for the three off them)

Micheals would be able to make a custom mat for you, but make sure that you get the cut out portion and framed portion ratio'ed properly, or you will have spent money for a funny shaped mat. (Square pics matted into rectangle frames often just look wrong!)

What would I do?

I'd print it myself.

Find Kodak Supreme paper, in gloss (the gloss will hep preserve the pic). It will cost a little bit, (around 1.50 per sheet here, but you have to buy it in pacs of 10).

Get your framing supplies from Micheals or a photography store, make sure everything says "acid free", so your pics will have a longer life.

One you print them, place them somewhere relatively dark for 24-48 hours. This allows them to cure (thus giving them a longer lifespan). Also, if you can wear a cotton glove when handling the paper, even before printing. The oils off your hands will degenerate a picture quickly once it is framed.

Also, dont trim or cut the pic until it has "cured", and give at least 1/4 inch border (the white portion without ink).

Three square bunny pics........sounds like a wonderful project.

I'm gonna send you a pm, watch for it.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. RTG. I have been using HP semi-gloss photo paper. The overall color and brightness of the picture is nice. It sure doesn't hold up, scratches very easily and you can forget it, if you get even a little moisture on it. the photo is ruined.

I have an HP printer, but I haven't been buying the recommended photo ink cartirdges,just the regular ink cartiridges. Honestly I was afraid to even price it.

redtailgal

Reaction score
I have an HP PHotosmart. I use the cheap paper for some stuff. I also keep the cheap ink for some stuff.

But for competitions, exhibitions, and work that I sell, I use the Kodak Supreme and the Photo quality ink. It does make a difference.

Curing the pics for 48 hours before doing anything with them and handling the paper (before and after printing) with cotton gloves also goes a long way to preserving a pic.

Glad that I could help! :D

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score

redtailgal

Reaction score
I sent you a pm with my thoughts, but I will post it here as well, in case anyone else is interested.

I'd go with the cowboy frames. I like that added detail on the outside, that little extra bit of molding will get some add dimension to your pics.

I thought the bracket frames were nice, but the frame shouldnt subtract from the photo.........And those will.

The cheapest ones were also pretty, but they didnt look very well made.

DKRabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Just passing through really quick... but you could also just have them printed bigger and cut them down yourself, or have someone with a mat cutter or something high tech like that cut them down with a straight edge. I use an Xacto knife and a metal ruler. I put a line on the back of the photo and pray I don't screw up :D

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
thanks for your all's inputs, I am going with the cowboy frames

http://mybarnwoodframes.com/cowboy-picture-frames-6x6-p352

and I am having them printed in the square shape, by a professional. But I think If I did it myself I would have to order them and cut them down to a square shape, since pictures on my printer really don't hold up well. But I am going to try RTG's advice and get kokak suprem paper and the photo ink and try printing a couple pictures on my own, when I am feeling braver.

Plus this year I want to try to enter a couple pictures at the fair photo contest. So Lots to learn still.

Latest posts