Devon Milking Cows (New Pics 1/29/14)

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
OK, if the horns are required, you are going to have to teach them NOT to use them! No playing butting or anything like that EVER allowed.
There was a Jersey showwoman in our area who kept her herd in horns-- even had gold lockets w/ chains around them. She had special horn trainers on them so they would grow curving in.
The general thought was that the horns made the head look longer and gained some show style. She would have 4H 'ers from her group help her at shows but generally local parents did not like the idea of kids and horned animals. The real farmers couldn't be bothered with dealing with the horns either. It's easy enough for a cow to hurt you, no use asking for trouble!
On another note: It was the Devon cow that George Washington kept at Mt Vernon. The park there has a few head they keep as part of the heritage farm.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
As stated, we are just looking out for you. :) Horns are deadly. All it takes is a toss of the head and them catching you with a horn so, please be careful and as Imissmygirls said,
No playing butting or anything like that EVER allowed
It's a good rule with or without horns. They just don't realize their power and how much they can so easily hurt you.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
I know I'm late on saying this but "learning on" some new 2.5 month old heifers is going to be asking for a lot; I would've sooner got some 3 or 4 year old cows to start on than calves, but that's just me.

Anyway, they look nice, and I hope you have some fun with them. :)

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
WildRoseBeef said:
I know I'm late on saying this but "learning on" some new 2.5 month old heifers is going to be asking for a lot; I would've sooner got some 3 or 4 year old cows to start on than calves, but that's just me.

Anyway, they look nice, and I hope you have some fun with them. :)
Oh I don't know, a 3 or 4 year old cow is going to be having a calf soon. These are or soon will be weaned and no little calf issues for sometime to come. But, then again, it is just my opinion too. :)

Debby

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You are all full of...suggestions. :D Thank you. I'm sure I'll need them. It helps that I'm a vet and animal training of all kinds has aways been one of my favorites (with a specialty in being a rather bosey head hauncho.) I don't think there will be any nonsense with the horns or otherwise. My basic attitude is, if I can teach 'em not to kick, I can teach 'em not to hook me. Then I just have to give a wide enough berth that they don't clunk me by mistake.

A funny story: When I was trying to find out what kind of treats I could use for praise, I asked my farmer neighbor--who also told me to dehorn them :)-- "Ralph, what should I give them for a treat?" Silence. "You know. A horse gets a carrot. What does a cow get?" Total dead pan silence. He just stood there and stared at me with his mouth open. I've had a good chuckle over the look on his face several times since.

Time to go tuck them in. I live above a bank barn, so they are right down in the basement. Great in the winter and not bad in July if the temp is 50 degrees as it is tonight.

Thanks again. Debby

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Mine love apples, carrots, celery and BANANAS. yep, bananas. I have also given the calves horse treats with molases when training them to lead, etc. Closest thing I had on hand in the barn. LOL. Cows are like horses in that respect, if it tastes good, then eat it! :D
Too funny about your neighbor. LOL

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Congrats on your heritage calves! I have Scottish Highlands and wouldn't dehorn them, either, but do definitely give yours a wide berth and teach them it's not ok to rub or butt you when they're little. I don't know what it is about horns, but in my (frequent) experience the slightest brush leaves a massive bruise. I'm working on our heifer calf now not to rub or butt or play with her head on a leg because she'll have quite the rack as she grows.

Our calves don't care for apples at all (but the adults love them). Greens of any type, especially the beet thinnings I gave them last weekend, are a huge hit. The cows love oversized cucumbers, melons, old pumpkins and squash (but no mold), corn stalks and ears, etc.

Have fun with your babes!

Debby

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Aaaah. Good treat suggestions. I have some watermelon, too. I bet they like that. But the horse treats are the cleanest for training. Old pumpkin and watermelon is a little hard on the pockets.

Debby

Cheepsunglasses

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Plain ole' horse cookies! We rescue horses, so we always have them around. Our Mini Jerseys are very fond of the apple and carrot flavors. You can get them at TS.