Devonviolet - Our LGD Adventure

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Those dogs are gorgeous and they look so alert and watchful; and of course the puppies are puppies...always cute. :love

There are some challenges to raising siblings so make sure you do all the homework, which it sounds like you have done already. I have sibling Border Collies and they are great dogs, but they are certainly joined at the hip. I will dread the day that I lose one. I spent 16 weeks, 2 nights a week, to take them to puppy class on separate nights so that they would gain some autonomy. It was time well spent, they love us and are very devoted to us, but they have a tighter bond than any dogs I have ever owned.

Hope the house closing goes smoothly, it is a nice looking house.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, the details, for the wire transfer got squared away. So, we have the money ready for closing! :celebrate

But, now we aren't closing, as scheduled. :barnie:duc :rant The mortgage company has put up multiple roadblocks, and now they haven't gotten the necessary paperwork to the title company, so they can't do their paperwork, to get us to closing on time. :thWe might close Friday. Or, it might not be until Monday or Tues now. :eek:

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, the details, for the wire transfer got squared away. So, we have the money ready for closing! :celebrate

But, now we aren't closing, as scheduled. :barnie:duc :rant The mortgage company has put up multiple roadblocks, and now they haven't gotten the necessary paperwork to the title company, so they can't do their paperwork, to get us to closing on time. :thWe might close Friday. Or, it might not be until Monday or Tues now. :eek:

I've sold two houses and bought another this year so I can relate;)
We just moved to a 5 acre property just like you
We started raising goats in a subdivision
That's where the name OneFineAcre comes from
It's our name with ADGA
We have thought about a new name but we kind of like it

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've sold two houses and bought another this year so I can relate;)
We just moved to a 5 acre property just like you
We started raising goats in a subdivision
That's where the name OneFineAcre comes from
It's our name with ADGA
We have thought about a new name but we kind of like it

You bring up a point that I have been pondering, OFA. What to name our little farm.

When I was a girl, my mother collected "pinch pots", from Devon, England. These pots had hand painted violets on them and originally contained "Violet Water". The ones that have the original cork, still smell like violets. Now I collect pinch pots, and grow wild violets in my garden. I have a big pot of offspring from my original violets, that I dug up about 20 years ago. We brought that with us, from PA.

My plan is to grow violets in my pastures, and call our farm DevonViolet Acres.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is really cool. I had one of those little bottles when I was about 5. It was probably something that my mom or grandma had and it just ended up with my toy china set. I remember the little cork in it and it smelled like violets, it was a cute little bottle and now you have me wondering where it went.

Sorry about the house, that has to be so stressful, but breathe and relax...all in good time.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is really cool. I had one of those little bottles when I was about 5. It was probably something that my mom or grandma had and it just ended up with my toy china set. I remember the little cork in it and it smelled like violets, it was a cute little bottle and now you have me wondering where it went.

Sorry about the house, that has to be so stressful, but breathe and relax...all in good time.
Thanks, babsbag. It IS stressful! I try to remember that, "This too shall pass". And actually I'm handling it better now than I was 24 hours ago. I just want to be in our new house by Christmas! ;)

That's cool, that you used to have a Devon Violets pinch pot with a cork and you could smell the violets. I suspect, that for most people, this is a scent that you never forget. I hope you can find it again. Many years ago, a day old bakery near us sold some Violet flavored hard candies. I LOVED those!!! They tasted just like the pinch pots smell. But now that we have moved I don't know if I will ever find them again. :drool :love

Last edited:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am betting you will make it in time. Might not have time to decorate much but I bet you are in the house.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am betting you will make it in time. Might not have time to decorate much but I bet you are in the house.
Yes, you may be right. We can't move in right away, though, because, we need to have someone paint the whole inside of the house.

I have MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivity), which causes me to get sick when I am exposed to chemicals. That includes air fresheners, cleaning products, scented laundry and personal care products, as well as building materials and even car oil and (especially) tires in a repair shop. One time I had to walk through Macy's to get into the mall to go to the Apple Store. I had to walk past their fragrance counter and almost passed out, from the chemicals off gassing from all those perfumes!

The people we bought the house from used "Plug-in" air fresheners. As soon as we bought it, they graciously agreed to take them out of the house, so the chemicals from the oils, could off gas. Well, the oil had clung to the walls, and the smell is still strong, so we need to paint the whole house, to cover/seal the fragrance chemicals.

We will use Zero VOC paints, which don't make me as sick as "regular" paint. But, I can't be in the house when the paint is being applied, or while it is fresh, or I have a bad reaction. I have to wait several days (a week is best) after the painting is done, before we can move in.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well then you will be cutting it close. Hope you have your painters lined up and ready to roll (pun intended).

MCS must be tough to deal with as fragrances are everywhere. I use those plugin fresheners too and I can't even smell them most of the time. Interesting that it still bothers you like that. Makes me wonder what all these chemicals are doing to us when most of us don't even know they are present.

I make goats milk soap and have a little workshop where I make and store them. That room would be off limits for you, it is mighty smelly.