Dewlap?

Gracie9205

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
purplequeenvt said:
How are they doing? Any improvement?
The swelling doesn't look to have gone down that much, but I didn't get a chance to check again this morning. She is grazing and eating just fine. I'll try to take an updated picture this afternoon.

Gracie9205

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I didn't have time to get pics, but the swelling has subsided a bit. It isn't back to normal, but not nearly as swollen as it was on Sunday. I think it is definitely working though. Now, if she had such an infestation of worms should I be worried about them all dying at once and overwhelming her system somehow?

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, that is definitely a concern. Keep an eye on her, if she starts acting sick or the bottle jaw comes back, it could be from die off. I generally use sheep Nutri-Drench for quick energy and the vitamins.

Gracie9205

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
purplequeenvt said:
That's too bad!

What did you worm them with? Did you talk with a vet? How are they doing - are they still eating or are they really lethargic and weak?
After close to a week, her neck is back to normal! :D She had no adverse effects with the worm die off either.

boykin2010

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what did the breeder say when you told the person that they had worms? A good breeder should not have sold you lambs that were loaded down with parasites. Usually, Katahdins have a good parasite resistance depending on bloodlines, age, etc. I know for me, I have never wormed any of my sheep. I only keep about 10 at a time though. I have been talking with other breeders and they are saying that for some reason this year has been really bad with the parasites. Seems to be a lot more problems this year than others. Not sure why though.

I'm glad everything went back to normal.

Gracie9205

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
boykin2010 said:
Just out of curiosity, what did the breeder say when you told the person that they had worms? A good breeder should not have sold you lambs that were loaded down with parasites. Usually, Katahdins have a good parasite resistance depending on bloodlines, age, etc. I know for me, I have never wormed any of my sheep. I only keep about 10 at a time though. I have been talking with other breeders and they are saying that for some reason this year has been really bad with the parasites. Seems to be a lot more problems this year than others. Not sure why though.

I'm glad everything went back to normal.
He was very concerned and checked in on them often. He did not try to avoid the situation, and communicated well with me. I know things like this happen sometimes, so I can't really ask for more. I'm not financially able to buy the best bloodlines at this point, but I have to start somewhere! Hopefully this is the only issue I have with them.