Different Udder Shapes

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey,
You're comparing apples and oranges. The first is a side view, the other is from the rear.
That could be the same udder.

I'll say this. Those are both nice udders.

And, I'll make one comment about the side view that you should look for that I learned recently at a 4H showing clinic we took our daughter to. From the side view, about 1/3 of the udder should be in front of the leg, about 1/3 hidden by the leg, and 1/3 protruding behind the leg.

See what I mean?

Another thing you should think about when you look at pictures of udders people post on their websites. Those aren't 12 hour fills. At a show or for a picture, exhibitors will let their animals fill a lot longer. Some 20 hours.

Someone told me before, you can always take some out, but you can't put any back in.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
OneFineAcre said:
Hey,
You're comparing apples and oranges. The first is a side view, the other is from the rear.

And, I'll make one comment about the side view that you should look for that I learned recently at a 4H showing clinic we took our daughter to. From the side view, about 1/3 of the udder should be in front of the leg, about 1/3 hidden by the leg, and 1/3 protruding behind the leg.

See what I mean?

Another thing you should think about when you look at pictures of udders people post on their websites. Those aren't 12 hour fills. At a show or for a picture, exhibitors will let their animals fill a lot longer. Some 20 hours.

Someone told me before, you can always take some out, but you can't put any back in.
20 hours? Seriously? Twenty hours is just plain MEAN~! I never let them go that long.... OW, OW, OUCH! My doe Brownie, and my doe Mama, look like that after 12 hours. I would hate to see how big they would get after 20 hours...

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok this is SO weird... I was searching the internet earlier looking for pics because I was going to post THE EXACT SAME QUESTION!

So can someone please tell us the difference between these two udders. I've seen both on websites listed as good udders and I've seen both on show animals... So which is better/ more desirable/ etc. Thank you!

6210_mcquittyfarmavaudder3yrs.jpg

6210_palisade_2nd_udder.jpg

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Queen Mum said:
OneFineAcre said:
Hey,

See what I mean?

20 hours? Seriously? Twenty hours is just plain MEAN~! I never let them go that long.... OW, OW, OUCH! My doe Brownie, and my doe Mama, look like that after 12 hours. I would hate to see how big they would get after 20 hours...
When I said 20 hours I was talking an extreme. Is it OK to let one fill that long if they are 7 months into lactation?

Here's Ginger 7 months into lactation at about 20 hours.

8192_img_7827jawr_35x5_gingerrearviewwebbrown_compressed.jpg

Her udder is not too tight.

No one I know would do anyting to cause their animals stress or discomfort. And.... judges will always feel the animals udder and I have seen judges scold people for letting them be too full.

Glad to hear you have some that look like those pictures at 12 hours. They must be exceptional animals. Most animals aren't even close to showing their true capacity on a 12 hour fill even at peak lactation

You have to consider how big a producer they are, and how far they are into lactation. We've let some go 20 hours at the state fair, but it was Oct and the kidded in the spring and were 6 or 7 months into lactation. We basically start the process of drying them off at the fair. Their udder isn't tight at all.

If one was 3 months into lactation and a big producer you may target 16 hours but you have to watch them. You could have one that isn't a big producer that you would let go longer.

It can tricky at events where there are two shows, one on Sat and then another on Sunday under a different judge.

We hurt ourselves at a show one time with a great first freshner. She was getting too full before the show so we were going to milk a little out and got her just a tad lopsided. She finished 2nd in a group of 15 animals and the judge made a point to say that the 1st and 3rd place animals were being given 1st and 2nd place udders Ouch!!!. He's basically telling us we're idiots.

Here she is. Took this picture to remind ourselves to do a better job of udder managment at shows. We feel like we cheated her. Ended up with an udder that wasn't full and lopsided on top of that. We're pretty convinced she would have won her age group.
8192_img_7834jaw_35x5_cookierearviewwebbrown_compressed.jpg

The main point I was trying to tell the OP is that don't look at people pictures on their websites and say why doesn't my animals udder look that big if you are milking them twice a day at 12 hour intervals, or if they are nursing kids.

Those pictures are pretty much guaranteed to be at "maximum" fill. Don't compare your animals to "glamour shots" on someones website.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
WhiteMountainsRanch said:
Ok this is SO weird... I was searching the internet earlier looking for pics because I was going to post THE EXACT SAME QUESTION!

So can someone please tell us the difference between these two udders. I've seen both on websites listed as good udders and I've seen both on show animals... So which is better/ more desirable/ etc. Thank you!

http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/6210_mcquittyfarmavaudder3yrs.jpg

http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/6210_palisade_2nd_udder.jpg
When people post pictures of their goats udders on their websites, they are trying to increase the price they sell kids for. The let them fill more. They zoom in closer

Both of those udders are attached very well at the rear. How they are attached at the rear and fore udder helps to determine overall support, and if the udder is "pendulum". These are not pendulum. Have you ever noticed that sometimes breeders will put a picture from the rear view, and one from the side? But sometimes only one angle? Probably because something doesn't look as good from the angle they aren't showing.

One appears larger than the other, but no way to tell if that is just the optical effect of the fact that one picture appears to be closer or zoomed in closer. They both seem to have good capacity. If you are referring to the fact that the smaller has a rounder appearance, and the larger a deeper appearance, probably a younger animal vs an older animial. But, camera angle can affect that look as well.

Both have nice sized teats, and excellent teat placement. Many ND's teats tend to point outward. Look at the pics of mine above, they kind of point out when you look at them from behind.

In your pics these both point down ward at least from the rear view. If there was a side view, you may see that they point forward but you can't tell from here.

If you look at the side view of the original OP, those teats pointed forward some.