Dilemma - What would you bill them?

ChickenPotPie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've been put in an awkward situation and would like some input. :(

Background:
I showed up at the farm we keep my children's animals at one night to find a family and my son's goat project leader with newborn kids in hand. The family seemed very happy to see me even though we had never met before. They told me their doe rejected their kid and asked me if I could take the kid to care for it. It was a Friday and, to my understanding, this was going to be only one night so I agreed.

3 days later and not a single inquiry about the baby, I see the mother at the farm. She doesn't mention the kid so I do. I tell her the kid is fine and taking a bottle and ask her when she can come pick it up. Keep in mind, I live in a residential neighborhood and certainly can't have a goat there.

She says she can't take it because her husband is out of town but he'll be back the next Friday and asked if I could care for it until then. Grr. Trying to be nice, I say I'll keep it til then. Well, Friday comes and goes and nothing. I email her, the goat project leader emails her. I tell her I can't keep him and I'm surprized animal control hasn't come knocking on my door for all the noise he's making.

So, ANOTHER week goes by. I just happened to see this lady and her whole family at the farm - dad included. :rolleyes: I'm pretty ticked by this point because we've got a very sick goat of our own to care for and I can't bring him home because I've got this healthy one that they won't take responsibility for. :barnie

Long story short, (oops, too late) this lady STILL says she can't take him. I tell her I CAN'T have him! Another lady pipes up and says she'll care for him and the family gushes thanks and offers to pay expenses and have their daughter come over at least once a day to bottle feed the baby. Gee, that would have been nice if they'd offered some help to me. It would have also been nice if these people had not ignored the mulitple attempts I made to give their goat back.

Anyway, wondering why they could not take the goat back after the husband was back (for at least a full week) I asked the lady who offered to care for him "Do they live in a residential neighborhood, too?"

"No," she replies. "They have sheep" :th

WHY could they not take responsibility for their own goat if they have their own animal property?! :barnie

My question is: What would you bill them for food, care, and board for this baby goat for 16 days? The goat drank every bit of milk my son's doe produced - 2 quarts per day - sometimes more if we could get it out of her. Plus, the care, board, and STRESS (okay, I won't charge for the stress. lol.)

sunnygoats

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Wow! That's an incredible amount of nerve. I wouldn't even begin to know what your time, expense and aggravation would be worth, but I'm thinking you should ask the woman who is caring for him now what she is going to charge them. Then send a bill accordingly.
Sheesh!

ETA: Maybe you should let the woman who's taking care of him know how they treated you. She should be made aware of the type of people she's dealing with.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Start with the price of the milk. Find out what the going rate is at the health food stores for 1/2 gallon of raw goat's milk....say $10. Add at least $10 per day for board and another $10 for each bottle feeding needed. So that is at least $40 per day. Another $30 for transportation if they don't come pick it up but expect you to drop it off. I would present the bill, carefully itemized, and say payment is due at the time they pick up the kid. If they don't pay, make them sign that they will pay by such and such a date, and have it witnessed.

You still might not see a penny, but they will never use you again, nor will anyone else who hears the story. And tell the story and show the bill far and wide so the message gets out. Or you will have a reputation as someone who will happily take care of other people's problems for free.....

So, let's tally that up, unless there is more that I don't know of.....16 days of milk, $160. 32 bottle feedings....or more?....$320. Basic board for 16 days, $160. Transportation to your house and back, $60. Total if the kid is gone by midnight tonight: $700!

Boy, that was fun. Can we do another math problem? :lol: ;)

ChickenPotPie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:lol: I like you, Freemotion. :D That put a big smile on my face and I needed that.

I think I'll go throw in the free transport, but the rest....I'll definitely bill them for and present it itemized. I definitely need to ditch the "Walk All Over Me" sign that must be written on my forehead. Thanks for the support ya'll. ;)

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
personlly i wouldnt charge them a dime.i know it has put you in a tough position.an if you charged them they prolly wouldnt pay it.

GrassFarmerGalloway

Melts for all babies
Reaction score
The nerve of that lady! :somad

I'd total the cost of all the feed and equipment you had to use, then add a per hour cost for the amount of labor. That's all I can offer. :idunno

sillystunt

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
what a %$#^&!!!!! I soooo would have freaked out on that darn lady! You should send her a bill for anyday you did not verbally contract to!!!!

That just pissed me off and i wasn't even there. You should have tied the kid up to her fence at her house :somad

***disclaimer** we all know that we really wouldn't do that in fear of the kid dying...but the intent is what i was going for!!

IGNORANT PEOPLE....:he
But that being said, they probally will never pay you and it probally isn't worth the time and fustration :th

ChickenPotPie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you for all the input. It made me think, it made me laugh (which is what I needed).

I'm going to talk to the mother about it. I'm going to ask her to give my son something to reimburse him for his doe's milk and work to care for the kid.

My son is 9 years old and has to pay for all his animals by himself. That's a big responsibility for a little kid. We'll give our children no-interest loans (that have to be paid back immediately), and we'll pay for show entries because that's a family activity but he can't afford to be giving his milk away for free.

I'm writing up an itemized bill of Cade's losses for those two weeks and give it to that family. They can decide what they should do.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
They may or may not pay you but, at least you will have tried. Maybe they will realise that it's not something to be taken lightly.