Do I have useless goats?

s.z.ichigo

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks so much, I am feeling much better about them now :)

So I'm guessing that my plan should be to whether all of the boys and sell them (and the girls) as pets? It's kind of a shame, as Mousse is SO beautiful. I didn't get a picture of him naked today, but here he is when he was born:
moussebaby1.jpg

What do you think? Would it be a good idea to keep the girls to breed next year to an unrelated buck? I'm sure I'm not thinking logically about them, as we've fallen in love with the babies, especially Cocoa and Mousse. It's going to be SUPER difficult to make myself sell them.

What would you guys do as far as keeping and selling and possible breeding next year? I would really appreciate your opinions!

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My goats can be considered "grade" goats. They're unregistered (except the two I bought from a rancher, but I don't have the papers), and in most cases, they've been low cost purchase-wise. Goats are either cheap or expensive. The expensive ones are registered show animals. The cheap are grade goats. Those few who test for CAE/CL are usually into show goats.

I'm using my goats for milk. I'm selling my does at reasonable prices. Most people are interested in them.

Unlike cats and dogs, there isn't quite a goat overpopulation. Goats can be butchered. They're farm animals and pets. There's nothing wrong with breeding your goats as long as you're honest with yourself and your buyers as to the quality of the animals.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
SkyWarrior said:
My goats can be considered "grade" goats. They're unregistered (except the two I bought from a rancher, but I don't have the papers), and in most cases, they've been low cost purchase-wise. Goats are either cheap or expensive. The expensive ones are registered show animals. The cheap are grade goats. Those few who test for CAE/CL are usually into show goats.
Don't confuse this with "recorded grade" which are regisitered with ADGA. Recorded Grade are a cross of 2 different breeds, both registered with ADGA or the female offspring of an unregistered doe ( that doe has to be listed with ADGA as Native on Apearance) and a registered buck. Bucks cannot be recorded grade.

In CA where I live there are alot of people that test for CAE and CL that don't show. More and more all the time. I know I do, but that is because I want to use bucks for breeding from clean herds and I have to prove that my does are clean as well. It also is a good selling point and really not that expensive to test.

I have a registered goat that has the most horrible udder in the whole world, but it is easy to milk, but will never "hold up" over the long haul. I don't breed her to dairy stock, I breed her to boer and her offspring are used for meat. Her udder should never be passed down to any offspring, but she still fits into my herd ok. But I am fortunate to have the land to support a few "useless" goats.

If you aren't going to show I say enjoy what you have if they are healthy