Do you have a senior horse?

ducks4you

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've looked at this post several times, but I've had a hard time with it because I've lost my 3 old best friends in the last 2 years. You know, these great horses get practically perfect, then their age catches up to them. I never realized how much my QH was suffering as he scrambled to get up until I saw my 3 yr old in his stall bounce to his feet as if he was my (young dog), Border Collie mix! (There were other issues as well.) All 3 were older than two of my DD's, and I had owned/ridden/loved all and, for two of them, I had owned them for over 20 years. The other one I had bought when he was 19 and he died at 24. I just wanted anyone with a great old friend to know that it is SSOOOO HHHAAARRRDDD to part with your friends, and I understand. :hit After the list gets past 3 or 4 or 5 permanent infirmities, you wonder if your horse is living like a horse. We don't bury ours--there is a service that picks up livestock. The driver told me (when he picked up my QH,) that he had recently picked up a horse that died naturally of cancer and was nothing but bones. He couldn't understand why they waited to end that horses' suffering. They are such physical creatures who delight in athleticism. Even my Arab was running like the wind just a week before he had a stroke. It's NEVER easy to let go, and I'll never forget them.
I hope that this helps.

chickygirl55

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My senior horse is named ginger. She used to be used as a trail horse but we bought her when she was 15 she is now 25 going on 26. And just like some of your horses i never relized just how old she was until one day i was like dang shes getting older. It seems like just yesterday we were riding her without a care in the world but now she doesnt get ridden much anymore except once in a while at a walk to give her exercise. Although she dont think shes old lol she loves trying to run. But her ankles are getting stiffer and she looses weight real easy cause she is missing some teeth. But boy is she spoiled lol she gets treats all the time.

fadetopurple

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am the biggest sucker on the planet. I love senior horses with all their sad stories and infirmities. If I won the lottery, I would probably wind up with a herd of 50 pity cases and one ridable horse. That's not my if-I-win-the-lottery dream, just what I know would end up happening.

Countrymom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I adore seniors. I know people always say once they hit 18 to 20 they are just too old. Ha! I will see if I can dig up pictures of our oldest and second oldest. My daughters competed this past year on both. The 23 year old did end up being pastured due to medical conditions, but that was from his previous owner as we have only owned him a year. The 24 year old is my oldest daughter's horse and went nearly every weekend this past year and together they won her Championship. He is no pet that is for sure, but he loves his job and knows in that he is to give it his all for his rider. Hard to believe he will be 25 in just a couple months and still romping in the pasture like a 2 year old and working cattle like nothing.

ok a couple pics from Sept at the worlds show....
360_chig_n_amy_on_that_cow.jpg

360_amy_working_cow.jpg

And awaiting pictures after she won....
360_awaiting_pictures.jpg

ducks4you

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't have many of my photos of my elderly horses that have passed on, on this computer, at work. So...they're going to come in piecemeal. Here is a photo of our TW, "Merry Boy's Hart", in 2005, at age 21. 1984-2008, RIP.

TrogdorinMerrillvilleIN2005.jpg

"Trogdor" used to love to have his face petted and scratched. He'd never really learned to come to a call, but we'd play tag when it was time to be haltered from turnout--once I tagged him, he'd halt. I, personally, didn't like his gaits--too tall, at 16'2hh, but DH loved him. I got him for my DH, anyway, but ALL of the horses are mine, since I take care of them. I really miss him, even though I got him at the end of his life.

pfht7

Just born
Reaction score
I am sorry for your loss. It is not an easy decision to make.

Kudos to you for dealing with this! You would be shocked to know how many of these horses are passed on to others because their owners do not want to "deal" with the problems. They leave their horse's fate and expense in the hands of people they don't even know. I hope you find solace in knowing that despite the emotional pain, you did what was best for your horse.

Regarding the group. Yes some of the information was difficult to find at one time. The group owner changed it so the "need to know immediately" information is sent directly to new subscribers automatically upon joining.

Oh, I didn't mean to leave the impression that Dr Kellon is selling anything. She developed the treatment protocols and freely devotes her time and energy to helping horses and educating owners; however, she does not sell any of the suggested treatments. Members purchase them from wherever/whomever they choose. To me, Dr Kellon is a hero! I had to put my mare down due to DE in October '08, but the treatment protocol kept her "comfortable" for almost seven years after she was diagnosed. For that I am extremely grateful, and I would hate for someone to think that Dr Kellon is profiting from any of this.

with my very best wishes
fadetopurple said:
Well... the deed is done.
I think I know of the group you're talking about; I joined a while ago but had trouble wading through the information they had posted. I did give some of their recommendations a try for a couple months this summer - removing simple sugars/molasses from the diet, replacing mineral block with a plain salt one to limit iron intake, etc. It didn't seem to make a difference. If I had caught it while he was still in decent condition (he has been declining for years) I would have tried the medicine/herbs that Dr. Kellon sells, but by the time I read about it, it was too late. The best I had to hope for was that he would maintain where he was, and I don't think that would have been fair to do to him.

fadetopurple

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
big brown horse - thanks again, and :hugs right back at you.

Countrymom & ducks4you - wow! Your horses both look(ed) awesome. I am especially impressed with the 24-year old still working cattle.

FarmerChick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Great picture of the 2 of you fadetopurple

when it is time, it is just that. nothing we can do. you did the right thing and YES I am sure you miss him...and will think of him often as I do my long gone horses! :(

best to had him in your life than not! :)