Do you have a senior horse?

pfht7

Just born
Reaction score
fadetopurple said:
Sorry to hear you also lost a horse to it. At least you were able to get all that extra time with her. Can I ask what breed she was?
Thank you. My mare was a Peruvian, a Nat'l Reserve Champion who was diagnosed at age 15. I ended up taking her to five different vets before she was diagnosed. Three of them could not see what I did. *I* could tell her gait was off before she presented any symptoms, but I guess others could not. Two vets saw no problems with her at all and pretty much dismissed me as a worrier. One told me she was off in the front, not the rear (her rear legs were affected), and one told me she had EPM but wasn't yet at a 1 on the lameness scale. The last vet listened to what I had to say, examined her, consulted with other vets, and then correctly diagnosed her. I remember watching her fetlocks begin to drop and can't count the number of times I cried over her diagnosis. But at least with a proper diagnosis I was able to find something to help her. I am grateful for that.

They're lovely horses with a wonderful gait, and I'd love to have another one, but I refuse to buy one until a test is available. Hopefully a test will be available soon and breeders will be able to assess which horses should be bred and which should not. Many are currently breeding the best horses they possibly can, using what few tests are available to them. But the tests we have now only show if the horse is currently affected -- not if it will be affected a few months or a few years from now. With so many horses displaying symptoms later in life, breeding becomes a huge crap shoot.

mousejockey

Just born
Reaction score
I have a 30 year old arabian that is in full service and is gaming at OHSET (Oregon High School Equestian Team) this year..

horsenurse

Just born
Reaction score
I have three horses who are getting up there:

Story is my 21 year old Standardbred. She is the most wonderful mare on the face of the planet. (but maybe I'm partial) She is the only mare I will ever own. I normally only have geldings and studs, but Story trotted into my heart and that was that!

1541_story_has_a_stick.jpg

Jay is my 20 year old Quarter Horse. He was a rescue. Rack of bones when I got him. Typical sad story. But I've fattened him up. He's getting to be a sassy old man. I ride him occasionally, but mostly I just feed and love my horses. With a full time job and hour commute there's not much time for anything else! But I just love to watch them be horses more than anything else.
1541_jay.jpg

Finally last but not least, there's All AHADS. He's more of a foster situation, but I've been around him for 15 years! He is a retired racing Standardbred. He made some money in his day. In his day he had a mark of 2:01. Which for then was fast not so much now the horses are so much faster these days. He's 21 years this year and hasn't been on the track since he was 8 years old. He is a stallion and a perfect gentleman. I love him!
1541_lovelace.jpg

These are just my older ones, I have three more besides. I love them all with my whole heart and soul.