Doe with history of mastitis, should I buy her?

catnipfamily

Just born
Reaction score
I'm supposed to go look at a doe in milk tomorrow, who has a history of mastitis and from what the owner has told me, half of her udder doesn't produce. I have been told the half that does produce milk can produce 1/2-1 quart a day (she's a ND). This would be my first milker, so we wouldn't need a lot of milk right now anyway, so I'm wondering if I should buy her? Her owner is asking $60 and she isn't registered. If someone could give me advice on this I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

catnipfamily

Just born
Reaction score
Thank you BHOBFarms. Btw, lovely sheep. If I ever get into sheep the mini Cheviots are at the top of my list.

rebelINny

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy her. She may be ok for you now but in the long run its gonna be headache and you will end up trying to sell her and likely not being able to get your money back.

catnipfamily

Just born
Reaction score
Oakroot said:
However much milk you think you need a day double or triple it.
Thank you Oakroot for your comment and advice.

catnipfamily

Just born
Reaction score
rebelINny said:
I wouldn't buy her. She may be ok for you now but in the long run its gonna be headache and you will end up trying to sell her and likely not being able to get your money back.
Thank you rebelINny for your advice. I had a feeling I wasn't to get her, and everyone here confirmed it for me. Thank you!

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I agree, you don't want to take on someone else's problem goat. In the long run it could cost you more in time and vet bills than just spending more to make sure you get a healthy goat to begin with.