Doe with scours... Please help....

scalaway

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Good Morning- I woke up to my doe (who just kidded a month ago) -she has scours pretty bad. I've never had a goat with scours before but have kept on hand an "herbal GI soother" by fir meadow. I gave her that this morning in her feed. Other than her scours, she's fine, eating, drinking, running around with the rest of the herd. I had to clean her up pretty good after the night..looks like she had "problems" throughout the night. No one else is sick (we have 2 alpine and then our doe's doeling) - they're all in the same pen, we really don't have a way to separate. Her eyes are bright and the rims are pink - I just don't know what to do to help clear this up. Since she kidded, her berries have been more "clumpy" but not like the mud pies I had this morning. Is there anything else I should try before calling a vet? I appreciate any opinions/help -- Thank you!!

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Pretty much at this point you need to call a vet, or start guessing and throw the kitchen sink at her.

If she is young, under 2, I wouldn't rule out coccidiosis as well as other parasites.

But sounds to me like you need a fecal done and she needs to be wormed with a chemical wormer.

Doesn't sound like an emergency, yet. But Give it another 24 to 48 hours and she could be looking pretty rough.

scalaway

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I should mention we're also milking her. I threw the milk away this morning, just because of the whole 'mess' at the back door. I cleaned her up good, but I'm thinking the vet is going to be the answer too. Just don't want anything to "spread" to the others. With wormers, won't that come out in the milk?? I have done di-methox with her before, I have safe guard as well. I don't have the ivermectin.... How long do chemical wormers stay in the milk? Should I be worried about her doeling?? She's still nursing (she's 4 wks old)??

scalaway

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
should also mention she's 31/2yrs old ;) and on her second kidding

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Could be a worm bloom or bacterial. If you can get a fecal on the weekend, I would. Otherwise I would treat with a good chemical dewormer at the very least to start things out. I'd also add either ScourHalt or Gelatin powder to water and drench her.